Davbell22602 first Electolysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Going out to the junkyard to find a short piece angle iron then trying this again with the new battery charger.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm gonna use the bolt method as you guys mentioned earlier. I cleaned a rusty spot around one of bolt holes where the carb mounts. When the bolt goes as far it can in the hole I will tighten it up with a nut but I might add flat washer to as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok, Here's the shortest piece of angle iron I could find. Its 5ft long so I'm gonna have to cut in it half and clean it. Might have to electolysis it first before using to clean the intake.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Just take a grinder to it to clean it off :shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And, Why cut it, just see if you can bend it at the center section that has been chewed on. See if you can make an L out of it, and have more cleaning surface. Remeber, this process works best at line of site. Meaning the sides facing your metal, are going to clean better, so if you have an L, run the process a couple hours, then clean your metal off, and rotate the intake so the other 2 sides are facing the angle iron.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did you see this piece of flat 1/4 x 2inch steel strap I got? I bent it to fit the tub for that head. This way, I am going to be cleaning 3 sides all at once. Also with the bigger metal, it shouldn't get as dirty as quick. So I'll run it a few hours, then stop it, clean off the metal, and rotate the head and start it again. I think I'm also going to put some legs on this piece so its raised off the bottom a few inches and almost centered on the head.
attachment.php

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
And, Why cut it, just see if you can bend it at the center section that has been chewed on. See if you can make an L out of it, and have more cleaning surface. Remeber, this process works best at line of site. Meaning the sides facing your metal, are going to clean better, so if you have an L, run the process a couple hours, then clean your metal off, and rotate the intake so the other 2 sides are facing the angle iron.

Can't bend it too solid even though its pretty rusty.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd think you could put one end on a curb or something, then stand in that center part where is chewed up and weakened. It should bend there in the center. But, either way, even if you cut it, it'll still work, just clean one side at a time. I'm working on a piece of steel right now, that will totally surround a head and hopefully clean all 4 sides at once.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok, This is the best I could in getting it cleaned enough with tools/equipment I have available.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ok, This is the best I could in getting it cleaned enough with tools/equipment I have available.

Perhaps you should have bought a grinder Instead of a charger

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Now I see, yeah that is bigger metal that I though by looking at the last pic. That will a great piece Dave, but Pops is right, it needs to be cleaner, no matter how you do it, grinder, sandpaper, whatever. Hell, even getting a screwdriver and scratching the piss out of it, will get it cleaner. Cleaner the better, so it makes better continuity. It doesn't have to be shiney, but at least try to know the rust off, and I also see gray paint on the back side. Wire wheel on a drill motor maybe??? Whatever you got, get after it.

You get a second, take a look at what I got cooking now. Its on my electrolysis thread. And I think its cookin too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Now that you've got it ground down can ya take the same grinder (but with a cut off wheel this time) and just cut that in half so that it's more workable. You might have something there if about half the size or so. :waytogo:

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok, Before I try the intake again I decided to try on the oil filler cap first. There's a difference on what's happening with the new charger compared to the old charger. I see the outside of the oil filler cap covered in bubbles/fizzy type texture. The water is turning dirty brown too after 10 minutes. I put 1 tablespoon of washing soda to about 1 gallon of water then mixed it up. The battery charger is set on 20A.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Perhaps you should have bought a grinder Instead of a charger

The only grinders I have is a bench grinder. The angle grinder is the next I'll buy on my tool shopping list along with a new air impact wrench.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Wow...that's a big piece of angle iron to grind down with a bench grinder. :eek: Would definitely be a nice bicep workout there. Interested to see how the oil cap comes out....

Nice job sticking to this process, Dave! :waytogo:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alyamii