Davbell22602 first Electolysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
U mad OLP?? :think:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
REALLY? I could have sworn I suggested to use 4 pieces of sheetmeatl to surround the entire part, I guess nobody read that huh, GEE If you fuckers would actually READ ALL the POSTS and quit scanning you would have maybe tried that awhile ago.

BTW DAVE If you cant get your old charger to do it then send it to me and I bet you I can get it to work.

I read that, but how do you suppose Dave was gonna tie 4 pieces of sheetmetal together with 1 clamp? Noone has tried sheetmetal either. I'd like to see it tried. I have a feeling its not going to produce the results that thick carbon steel will. And I don't have sheet metal laying around. I can find steel laying around anywhere. Old pipe, channel, angle, truck frame, bumper whatever. I think you're forgetting and I keep reminding its an experiemental project for most of us. I know mine are getting better and better each time I try something, but I also watch Dave's to see if he results are what I expect and so far, they are, so no suprises there. Noone has claimed to be the expert in the process yet.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
brings me to an idea though. Why don't someone find an old washer that someone is throwing away. Take the sheetmetal cabinet, cut it down to about a 1 foot strip, make it circular in fashion and give it a try. I am curious to see how well it works. POPS ??? Seemed to be your idea, so :grd: Post up pics and results. I know you can find a rusty part somewhere. Go get one off Old Blue.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I read that, but how do you suppose Dave was gonna tie 4 pieces of sheetmetal together with 1 clamp? Noone has tried sheetmetal either. I'd like to see it tried. I have a feeling its not going to produce the results that thick carbon steel will. And I don't have sheet metal laying around. I can find steel laying around anywhere. Old pipe, channel, angle, truck frame, bumper whatever. I think you're forgetting and I keep reminding its an experiemental project for most of us. I know mine are getting better and better each time I try something, but I also watch Dave's to see if he results are what I expect and so far, they are, so no suprises there. Noone has claimed to be the expert in the process yet.

lol OH SO YOU DONT THINK SHEET METAL WILL WORK. HMMM seems to me that we have already discovered that the MORE surface area the electrode has the better results will be, sure as hell seems to me that 10 gauge sheetmetal on all 4 sides would have MORE surface area the any other method you all have done.
As far as connecting the 4 sides to use with his ONE clamp goes. Have you ever heard of a uh oh whats the name of that thing that has a ground clamp, an electrode holder, sometimes has a gun, and sometimes uses gas for shielding?????????????? Damn wish I could think of the name of it. OH WAIT MAYBE A WELDER? YEA THATS what its called you can actually join MULTIPLE pieces togather to make 1 piece

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Who pissed in your Cheerios? :wave:

I think sheet metal would probably work well too though.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
can't we all just get along?

As for adryer I got a washer and a dryer to scrap LOL.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
REALLY? I could have sworn I suggested to use 4 pieces of sheetmeatl to surround the entire part, I guess nobody read that huh, GEE If you fuckers would actually READ ALL the POSTS and quit scanning you would have maybe tried that awhile ago.

BTW DAVE If you cant get your old charger to do it then send it to me and I bet you I can get it to work.

I think have already proven that 50% or more why it wasnt working was the charger. I used the same setup like I did with the old charger with the mower blade and got nothing out of it with old charger.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I have my doubts on sheetmetal. I think thicker and heavier metals like steel, iron, etc. will do better. But anything is worth try. Go for it POPS.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I could see your point on thick metal, but I can see his point on surface area as well.

As for the washer and dryer, no worries, got a fireplace, pipes, complete front end steering parts for an 84 c10, a sink, and some other misc. scrap metal to haul, as well as a bed load of pop cans too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Honestly, I don't know that sheet metal will work or not, and if it does how well. I have a feeling density of the metal might make a difference, but we'll never know until we try it huh??? So, I'd like to see someone try it. Why is the experts are always the ones telling how its done, but then don't do it???

Just because I haven't said it before, yeah right, like 100x so far, this is an experiental process to most of us, so until we know any answer is the WRONG answer, then actually there isn't any wrong answers here. Things we do KNOW so far, is DON"T USE STAINLESS STEEL, it creates Haz Mat, we also KNOW, don't use copper cuz it turns green and dilutes the electrolyte. I think we KNOW washing soda works better than baking soda. But, apparently I'm just stupid. I've done a Big Block Olds 425 motor with great sucess, and I thnk my Olds C head yesterday was very successful too. So now I'm curious, where are anyone else projects that turned out better than my 2 successes if I'm so stupid??? I posted all my pics, there are all on my electrolysis thread. Where is everyone elses pics of their process??? I love sucess stories, don't hold out and keep'em a secret.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have my doubts on sheetmetal. I think thicker and heavier metals like steel, iron, etc. will do better. But anything is worth try. Go for it POPS.

Honestly Dave, you might be wrong on that, as I would be too, cuz we won't know until someone tries it, but that is probably one of the most intelligent like things you've said on a forum to date. :High 5: But, I'm only guessing. I think and only assuming the density of the metal may very well make a difference. Someone do it, I'd like that to be confirmed or denied. For now, I am impressed with the ring I made and how it worked, so I'll be sticking with that to do this head again after I take the valves out of it, and to also do the matching head. I fully intend to be using these heads I am cleaning.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's my plastic drum. How much should I cut off? I was thinking cut it where second to the top molding ring is.

You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I would cut ONLY the top itself off so you can do larger if need be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BSims