Davbell22602 first Electolysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
WOW you could do a whole block in that!! I was thinking about the sheet metal thing, with only one electrode it would seem to me the electric field would still be concentrated on the end with the connection. If you have an electrode on opposite ends of it and a positive connected to both of them it would spread the field out more in the solution. Might be worth experimenting with anyway, I think surface area may be where it's at, instead of just 1 stick of rebar, something that has more contact with the water.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
WOW you could do a whole block in that!! I was thinking about the sheet metal thing, with only one electrode it would seem to me the electric field would still be concentrated on the end with the connection. If you have an electrode on opposite ends of it and a positive connected to both of them it would spread the field out more in the solution. Might be worth experimenting with anyway, I think surface area may be where it's at, instead of just 1 stick of rebar, something that has more contact with the water.

Not a 390 FE block not big enough.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I would cut ONLY the top itself off so you can do larger if need be.

Yea I thought about that too. I might just do that.

That's exactly what I'd do. Just cut the top off. You should be able to do most engine blocks with a hoist to lower them into position like I did mine. Then you can also put a bar or 2x4 across the top to hang things from a chain, like an intake manifold instead of laying it flat. Then clamp your negative lead to the chain you are hanging the part from. Here is mine, and you see the water went over the 2/3 level and left me a little extra room for foaming of the electrolyte etc.

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
That's exactly what I'd do. Just cut the top off. You should be able to do most engine blocks with a hoist to lower them into position like I did mine. Then you can also put a bar or 2x4 across the top to hang things from a chain, like an intake manifold instead of laying it flat. Then clamp your negative lead to the chain you are hanging the part from. Here is mine, and you see the water went over the 2/3 level and left me a little extra room for foaming of the electrolyte etc.

attachment.php

Can a 2x4 support the weight of 390 4bbl intake with a filler tube?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sure the 2x4 would, just have to make sure you cut the drum in a way that you leave some stength at the top to support the 2x4. Notice I cut mine above the lip, leaving that lip in place for drum stability. Still a bit weak, but it will hold more than you think. That intake probably weights no more than 30lbs.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Sure the 2x4 would, just have to make sure you cut the drum in a way that you leave some stength at the top to support the 2x4. Notice I cut mine above the lip, leaving that lip in place for drum stability. Still a bit weak, but it will hold more than you think. That intake probably weights no more than 30lbs.

30 pounds? Try 50 pounds. Its a 1964 intake.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
30 pounds? Try 50 pounds. Its a 1964 intake.

I still think it'll hold it. And if not, then let the intake rest on the bottom of the drum, then hang it just to keep it straight up and down so it can't fall to one side and hit your steel. Know what I mean?? Let the weight sit on the bottom.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I still think it'll hold it. And if not, then let the intake rest on the bottom of the drum, then hang it just to keep it straight up and down so it can't fall to one side and hit your steel. Know what I mean?? Let the weight sit on the bottom.

Gotcha. Still hunting for cheap angle grinder. So I havent cleaned the angle iron yet. So I might get this going on monday now.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Gotcha. Still hunting for cheap angle grinder. So I havent cleaned the angle iron yet. So I might get this going on monday now.

Don't over analyze Dawg, you already bought a charger, which you'll use for other things for years to come. You got a drill motor??? Go to Lowes or Home Depot, local hardware store, wherever, get some cheap grind stones for a drill motor will even clean that steel up for the this process. It doesn't have to be spotless shiney all over. You seen the ring I used. I basically just knocked the rust off of it. I did grind it till it was shiney where I bolted the 2 pieces together to make sure I got a good joint contact, but past that, I just hit it real quick to knock the rust off, clean it up and that was it. It will take you a tad longer with the drill motor grind stone though, no biggie. Also if you using mower blades you can do that with your bend grinder wheel. :grd:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Don't over analyze Dawg, you already bought a charger, which you'll use for other things for years to come. You got a drill motor??? Go to Lowes or Home Depot, local hardware store, wherever, get some cheap grind stones for a drill motor will even clean that steel up for the this process. It doesn't have to be spotless shiney all over. You seen the ring I used. I basically just knocked the rust off of it. I did grind it till it was shiney where I bolted the 2 pieces together to make sure I got a good joint contact, but past that, I just hit it real quick to knock the rust off, clean it up and that was it. It will take you a tad longer with the drill motor grind stone though, no biggie. Also if you using mower blades you can do that with your bend grinder wheel. :grd:

Ok, Will get grinding stone for a drill from Lowes tomorrow.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Now when using the angle iron and standing the intake up on its end. Does the electrode have to match the height in this case?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Rock on!!!!!! :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Now when using the angle iron and standing the intake up on its end. Does the electrode have to match the height in this case?

NO, they donlt have to match heights, but you'll likely want your steel to be sticking out of the water so you can clamp on to it, while the intake will completely submerged.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Good idea on the grinding stone for the drill HR:waytogo: I hadn't thought about that would be much more cost effective for Dave's purposes :High 5:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BSims