Th400 kickdown switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamgrease

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey everyone, I have a 85 C10 that was originally a 6.2 diesel/700r4 truck. It now has a 454/400. I’ve installed the kickdown switch solenoid on the petal bracket and made my own harness, it works I’ve tested it. My question is are the accelerator petals different for the TH400 from other transmissions ? My petal doesn’t reach far enough to engage the switch. I’m considering fabricating and welding an adapter rod to it for engagement of the switch.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
So what you're saying, the switch works fine, just that pedal, when mashed down to the floor, doesn't trigger the switch? Those are designed to kick down at full throttle and under 55. Well, mine won't kick down over 55.

slammed84

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey everyone, I have a 85 C10 that was originally a 6.2 diesel/700r4 truck. It now has a 454/400. I’ve installed the kickdown switch solenoid on the petal bracket and made my own harness, it works I’ve tested it. My question is are the accelerator petals different for the TH400 from other transmissions ? My petal doesn’t reach far enough to engage the switch. I’m considering fabricating and welding an adapter rod to it for engagement of the switch.
I believe that factory TH400 cars and trucks did have an specific bracket that had provisions for the kickdown switch. I've looked into this because I also need to install the switch, but it's been awhile since I Googled it. You could try to research it, I'm fairly sure this was the case.

But I'm with you, I would just fab up a bracket that mounts it in the correct position you need, would probably be easier and cheaper than finding the correct pedal/bracket and whatever it takes to mount it correctly in a squarebody.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
creamsicle76