1992 RS Camaro. First car for Der Burger.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Just ordered the OSC 951 for my daughters car.
It was all full the other day and then she took it out and drove it all over the place.
Came back and she said that she could hear it bubbling and gurgling when she turned it off.
Checked the overflow and it was empty with remnants of cruddy water coming out of the top of the filler cap.
I looked in the radiator and it was down 1/3rd as well.
The existing radiator is bent and I am sure it is plugged as well due to the awesome PO driving through a hay field.
You must be registered for see images attach

I was hoping after some flushing it would last until she could change it with her cash money.
Nope.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Since I have very little confidence in the PO's abilities to do much of anything mechanical, I have also ordered several other parts of the cooling system.
They are inexpensive enough and I don't want to have to keep diving back in to fix the next thing.
So also coming along will be a water pump, thermostat, and temperature sensor.

Doing some research, I went with this one based on the thread starters thoughts on it.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I got to have some time out in the driveway this weekend and I finished up the radio and console install to complete this dash upgrade.
I had to run a new yellow switched power wire from the fuse box as the PO had fried the wire coming straight out of the fuse panel.
I clipped it off and installed a new wire from one of the auxiliary power taps provided from the factory.

Everything has just been set in place for now as I have 3 more holes to drill to mount the knob for the Blaupunkt bass reprocessor that will be mounted inside the console.

Here the dash is now whole and looking much better.
I need to get some double sided tape to reinstall the dash badge.
The covers for the underside need to be installed, but overall it has had that part of the PO bubblegummery erased.

There are plenty of other things to be addressed as I see there are some cut and or unplugged things under the dash that will be dealt with in the future...

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Doing some research, I went with this one based on the thread starters thoughts on it.
My apologies for hijacking. Can't let @bucket take the blame because I started it. Also The effort you have been putting into this car is outstanding and you have definitely done good at raising your kids right the Chevy way lol

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank you all.
It has been far more work than anybody initially thought it would be.
F'n PO was great at hiding his crap work and we are paying the price for it now.
But, we are getting to build it I guess the way we want.
For what I am in it now, I could have bought her a nicer car but it would have had a V6 in it.
Prices around here are dumb, so I am ok with it.
She will have to figure out how to pay for it to get painted as we still have that Plasti Dip crap on it.

But whateva.
It is a fun looking car and she loves it.
Just driving to the DMV the other day we got compliments on it from other traffic.
Her little boy-toys all love it as well and can't wait to be a passenger.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Man.
Rock Auto had this one fast tracked to us.
Ordered on Monday and have it in hand Wednesday.
If I had time currently I could start digging in, but alas, I do not.
So I will just have to wait until the weekend and the rest of the parts should be here by then too...

It looks like two 5/8" flat tubes side by side in there.
I can snag my finger nail on the center section of the tubes.
If you squint and turn your monitor too 43 degrees you can imagine that you are seeing a seem that I describe above...

I spy the trans cooler section in there.

Hopefully this will help keep the temperatures in check.
Of course I will have to wait for the coolant system flush stuff to come in so we can clean out the block as well.
It's kinda rusty colored in there and should be warshed out.

I will go to Harborious Freight later this week and pick up a mixing tub that will be placed under the car to catch all the nasty stuff that comes from the car.
That way I can get rid of it properly and not let it get into the ditch.
Also much easier to get it in the tub than trying to aim into a bucket when it is coming out of multiple places...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Man.
Rock Auto had this one fast tracked to us.
Ordered on Monday and have it in hand Wednesday.
If I had time currently I could start digging in, but alas, I do not.
So I will just have to wait until the weekend and the rest of the parts should be here by then too...

It looks like two 5/8" flat tubes side by side in there.
I can snag my finger nail on the center section of the tubes.
If you squint and turn your monitor too 43 degrees you can imagine that you are seeing a seem that I describe above...

I spy the trans cooler section in there.

Hopefully this will help keep the temperatures in check.
Of course I will have to wait for the coolant system flush stuff to come in so we can clean out the block as well.
It's kinda rusty colored in there and should be warshed out.

I will go to Harborious Freight later this week and pick up a mixing tub that will be placed under the car to catch all the nasty stuff that comes from the car.
That way I can get rid of it properly and not let it get into the ditch.
Also much easier to get it in the tub than trying to aim into a bucket when it is coming out of multiple places...

So I really can't tell in the picture, is it actually a pair of tubes with a little gap, or are they joined in the middle?

Does the car still have the black plastic air dam on the underside of the radiator support? And all the plastic ducting is still between the bumper and radiator? The '87+ cars got some pretty elaborate ducting compared to the earlier cars.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It seems to be a pair of tubes joined on the edge.
It is difficult to see even with mine own eyeballs.

Yes, the car has all the plastic bits on it as well as the ducting in the nose.
I think it was simply like the rest of the car, not taken care of and abused.

So we will flush it all and then start in on mounting all the new parts for its correct operation.
I also want to install another temp gauge to just make sure the gauge is not off.
I have read that happens on these cars.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Thank you all.
It has been far more work than anybody initially thought it would be.
F'n PO was great at hiding his crap work and we are paying the price for it now.
But, we are getting to build it I guess the way we want.
For what I am in it now, I could have bought her a nicer car but it would have had a V6 in it.
Prices around here are dumb, so I am ok with it.
She will have to figure out how to pay for it to get painted as we still have that Plasti Dip crap on it.

But whateva.
It is a fun looking car and she loves it.
Just driving to the DMV the other day we got compliments on it from other traffic.
Her little boy-toys all love it as well and can't wait to be a passenger.
Boy toys???? Better keep em in the passenger side and outta the backseat.... unless you are trying to get grandkids! I'm middle aged now but I remember how high school boys are....

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
It seems to be a pair of tubes joined on the edge.
It is difficult to see even with mine own eyeballs.

Yes, the car has all the plastic bits on it as well as the ducting in the nose.
I think it was simply like the rest of the car, not taken care of and abused.

So we will flush it all and then start in on mounting all the new parts for its correct operation.
I also want to install another temp gauge to just make sure the gauge is not off.
I have read that happens on these cars.
If y'all haven't yet, check that chin spoiler underneath closely. If the 90* bend has weakened enough, it'll flap flat up against the bottom of the car at speed. My '87 in HS didn't have one when we bought it and always ran hot, so I put one on and the car was much happier after that. Fast forward to pulling up over a few too many curbs that bent that back, it had folded the 90 enough that I could blow it back with the leaf blower. Realized it one day when I was doing yardwork lol. It was nearly ready to break off, so I bought another and started backing in anywhere I went.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Boy toys???? Better keep em in the passenger side and outta the backseat.... unless you are trying to get grandkids! I'm middle aged now but I remember how high school boys are....
We have done our best while raising her to instill she does not want kids until she is ready.
That and she has good birth control going on.
Plus my older brother had a '89 and he confirmed it was not a good place to be for those activities....
:chair:
@HotWheelsBurban ^^^^^^NO NO NO NO^^^^^we were NOT like that..........uh what...wait.....when was this???.........oh yeah .. the anatomy by BRAILLE class
Worry not.
They all know that I carry.
Even the ones that I don't know seem to know before I meet them.
Plus being over six feet and 300 blue collar pounds seems to help as well.
The last one I towered over as he was only 5'6", I took him to a hockey game and sat next to him.
I am long torso'd so my shoulder was at his eyeline...

If y'all haven't yet, check that chin spoiler underneath closely. If the 90* bend has weakened enough, it'll flap flat up against the bottom of the car at speed. My '87 in HS didn't have one when we bought it and always ran hot, so I put one on and the car was much happier after that. Fast forward to pulling up over a few too many curbs that bent that back, it had folded the 90 enough that I could blow it back with the leaf blower. Realized it one day when I was doing yardwork lol. It was nearly ready to break off, so I bought another and started backing in anywhere I went.
I will make sure to check its integrity.
I know it has one, but if it is shot I have another in the parts stash from the junkyard that is good.
I will also be making sure that all the wind will be moving through the radiator as well.
There are these little foam blocks that I know it is missing one of that stop the air from escaping between the condenser and the radiator.
I also snagged a couple more of them from the junkyard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chaps81dually