1992 RS Camaro. First car for Der Burger.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Just so you can plan for it, they close the lower yard at the Sherwood location.
That means that on the first weekend of October things pulled are 40% off.
And the second weekend of October things pulled from the yard are 75% off with no returns.

That is a heck of a deal and you can bet your sweet bippy we will be there on one of the days stacking up more crap we don't need.
But want.
ROAD TRIP!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So the other day when the kid ran around after DMV showing off the car to whomever, she reported that part of the exhaust fell off.
She picked the piece up that went over the axle as it was only tacked in place and not finish welded in place.
Now the part has witness marks on it where it needs more clearance....
You must be registered for see images attach

So the BFH was employed to provide some axle tube clearance...

Here is the whole thing from the cat connection on the right to the over the axle part on the left.
Now I have to get more gas for my OXY / Acetylene torch set as the inexpensive V-bands seem to have warped even though we had them clamped tight when welding.
So we are going to pour heat into them and them re-clamp them to see if that makes things better.
If that does not work, they may get some muffler glue and them clamped back in to see how long that lasts as I don't want to buy more of them...

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Great thread. Kids are smiling in pretty much every picture!

I'm hoping to find a clean '92 soon. Long shot, but preferably a '92 Purple Haze Z28 Convertible with 5.7. Almost bought a '91 Z28 with only 8k on it last month. I offered $2500 less than they wanted and they said no. 2 weeks later they sold it for $4500 less.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Great thread. Kids are smiling in pretty much every picture!

I'm hoping to find a clean '92 soon. Long shot, but preferably a '92 Purple Haze Z28 Convertible with 5.7. Almost bought a '91 Z28 with only 8k on it last month. I offered $2500 less than they wanted and they said no. 2 weeks later they sold it for $4500 less.
My neighbor has an anniversary edition purple in color. Think he's selling

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Just read through this one, man, looks like a ton of fun with the kids getting it built up!
We had a few F body's in the family for my sisters. My favorite was an 88 Formula 350 Firebird, with the 5.7 TBI. It was a great highway machine, could barely spin the tires but would absolutely rocket once you were going 35 or 40, and highway at anything less than 85 just felt slow... she sold it for a 97 Camaro convertible, then sold that for an '01 Vette convertible that got (barely) totaled hitting an elk at 80 mph, and moved up to an '05 convertible Vette. I spent more time crawled under that 88 than I did any of my cars, but it was a fun one for sure. I can't imagine my sister doing much anything more than fluid checks as a teen, awesome that your daughter is digging in like that.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Went to the yard I used to work at today. Saw these.

First one is an '89 RS. Second one is an '82-'86 Sport Coupe. The last one, if those taillights are original to the car, is an incredibly rare '85 Firebird S/E. Can't see the hood good enough to verify.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
First one is an '89 RS. Second one is an '82-'86 Sport Coupe. The last one, if those taillights are original to the car, is an incredibly rare '85 Firebird S/E. Can't see the hood good enough to verify.
It's definitely a Firebird. Interior used to be cherry when I first saw it. Engine and trans still there I'm pretty sure the only reason it's still there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's definitely a Firebird. Interior used to be cherry when I first saw it. Engine and trans still there I'm pretty sure the only reason it's still there.

Do you remember if the hood has two little vent openings in it? A regular Firebird hood is just plain and flat. A Formula hood has the offset blister scoop. Trans Am hoods are like the S/E hood, but have 2 additional vents, for a total of 4.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Do you remember if the hood has two little vent openings in it? A regular Firebird hood is just plain and flat. A Formula hood has the offset blister scoop. Trans Am hoods are like the S/E hood, but have 2 additional vents, for a total of 4.
It may have all 4 vents. I should go back and look more at it lol. When I worked there I looked once. I think it's an 85. Carbed I remember. Can't remember much else. Auto trans. My buddy works there. Could probably get a Pic delivered to me lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It may have all 4 vents. I should go back and look more at it lol. When I worked there I looked once. I think it's an 85. Carbed I remember. Can't remember much else. Auto trans. My buddy works there. Could probably get a Pic delivered to me lol

If the hood has 4 vents (two up front, two towards the rear), then it is a Trans Am hood and would mean that those taillights are likely not original to the car.

It would be cool if it really is a real S/E. I've only ever seen one of them in person that I can remember. Oddly enough, I just happened to drive passed that one again today.

*edit* here's an S/E (this one is an '86, notice the brake light) that was on Bring a Trailer.

Notice the "sort of a T/A hood" and also the Trans Am taillights that the '85 and '86 S/Es got.

Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
If the hood has 4 vents (two up front, two towards the rear), then it is a Trans Am hood and would mean that those taillights are likely not original to the car.

It would be cool if it really is a real S/E. I've only ever seen one of them in person that I can remember. Oddly enough, I just happened to drive passed that one again today.

*edit* here's an S/E (this one is an '86, notice the brake light) that was on Bring a Trailer.

Notice the "sort of a T/A hood" and also the Trans Am taillights that the '85 and '86 S/Es got.
So what was an S/E? Like a T/A "light" package with some features of the top dog but a cheaper car? I used to be heavy into 3rd gens and have never heard of an S/E Firechicken

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So what was an S/E? Like a T/A "light" package with some features of the top dog but a cheaper car? I used to be heavy into 3rd gens and have never heard of an S/E Firechicken

It was basically a sporty appearance package and included a bunch of options that were not standard on the base Firebird. It got you the higher trim level interior, the added insulation, the lighting package, gauges I believe, aluminum wheels, the special hood, the T/A smoked taillights and some other standard items too I think. A friend of mine knew all about them, but he has passed on recently and I can no longer ask him about those things.

But besides the hood and taillights, you could get every other option on a base Firebird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brantley