Car Hauler tips/tricks/ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
These through wheel straps popped up on Amazon this week for $36 so I thought I'd give them a try. It was/is just the strap an no ratchet. I actually like them, just need to pickup a pair of ratchet handles that have the hook straight on them for the rear. An maybe some softer covers if I ever have nicer wheels. The tounge box is pretty full now but I think I have enough straps for anything I might need to haul.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I also picked up a reciever winch mount, the reciever part an a 2' piece of 1/4" angle. Going to bolt the angle under the floor to the crossmember an then bolt the reciever to that through the floor. Had hopes to get that much done this weekend but looks like the weather isnt going to cooperate.

Ok I'm just nit picking here, but you can never strap anything down too good.

On the front, if you are going to use the long run of straps like that, imho it would have been better to cross them so they form an "X". Otherwise, just use a shorter run of strap and go down to one of the closer stake pockets. It offers more downward pull and also more side-side stability.

On that left rear wheel, the strap should have been through the next opening to the rear. You want the imaginary line of your strap to be inline with the axle centerline. The reason being, if you were to hit a large bump and the wheel lost some contact pressure with the trailer, the force of the strap could rotate the wheel, which would then cause the strap to be loose.

But like I said, just nit picking. You certainly had it strapped down far better than a lot of people do, and 99.999% of the time, nothing bad would have happened.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Ok I'm just nit picking here, but you can never strap anything down too good.

On the front, if you are going to use the long run of straps like that, imho it would have been better to cross them so they form an "X". Otherwise, just use a shorter run of strap and go down to one of the closer stake pockets. It offers more downward pull and also more side-side stability.

On that left rear wheel, the strap should have been through the next opening to the rear. You want the imaginary line of your strap to be inline with the axle centerline. The reason being, if you were to hit a large bump and the wheel lost some contact pressure with the trailer, the force of the strap could rotate the wheel, which would then cause the strap to be loose.

But like I said, just nit picking. You certainly had it strapped down far better than a lot of people do, and 99.999% of the time, nothing bad would have happened.

I don't mind at all, that's what this thread is for. I want to learn what's good/bad, easier ways, better equipment etc. I probably know enough to be safe but it could also be just enough to be dangerous too.

I thought about crossing the front ones but I didn't like how it was pulling on the ring. Probably would have been OK but in my google image research I didn't see anyone crossing with this style. I have 2 more pocket d-ring things so I can definitely tie it down closer to the truck. When I use the axle straps to the control arm/axle I always cross them.

On the LR, I had it in gear an brake applied but I do see what you are saying there an that makes sense. I am not sure why I ran it there, must not have been paying attention as much since we were talking. I did see it when I stopped on the highway ramp but with it on the Dr side, I didn't want to restrap it that close to traffic. Plan was to stop an check before that point but traffic was heavy an there just was no good place with easy access.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I think I'd definitely look into counter sinking some of those flush mount d-rings in the floor in various spots. Those looooooooong straps in the front give me the willies lol. I'd probably do another 2 pair up front and maybe one in the rear, that way you have several options for tying down.

That's a nice trailer though, I'm jealous! The winch mount with a receiver and quick connects is a great idea, though storing it will be a pain. I've always had them mounted in the toolbox on the tongue but I get why you don't wanna do that.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It seems like running the strap through the wheel would leave rub marks on them.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Ya these have a cover sleeve but it seems it's almost the same material as the strap, like it's just to help keep the strap from getting abrasion itself. I found some fleece covers that I might get. I'm ready for different wheels on it so I'm not to worried about those, they are far from perfect anyhow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
10ptBUck