What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Here's 95 bucks worth of gaskets lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Also washed the 82 and took it to heb for a beer run. Caught the Texas flag in the tailgate and when I got to the store it was bent over the tailgate. Wasn't even going that fast. I've run 65 with it flapping and it held up fine. Bent it back in the bed. :confused:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Here's 95 bucks worth of gaskets lol

Also washed the 82 and took it to heb for a beer run. Caught the Texas flag in the tailgate and when I got to the store it was bent over the tailgate. Wasn't even going that fast. I've run 65 with it flapping and it held up fine. Bent it back in the bed. :confused:
Looks like you might be able to fix it up with some thin wall electrical conduit.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Spent 95 bucks on gaskets today to fix all the oil leaks he found while replacing the motor mounts. That should fix all of them except for the rear main seal.
If it's a two piece, just replace it while the pan is off, granted you're replacing the pan gasket

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the information guys!
Got another "odd" question; has anyone on here had a set of factory GMC wire wheel covers? The pix I find on eBay are a generic center cap insert, but I swear the caps Dad had on the '75 Sierra Classic had a silver/chrome center cap and the red insert GMC logo. Best of my recollection is that he got these at the dealership parts department, shortly after buying the truck, and he ran them till he got the Western Wheel turbine mags. Which wasn't but for a few months.... I'm also remembering a story about the factory full wheel covers on the truck getting stolen (guess these were the ones similar to the 67-72 fwc like the early squares used, with the 5 "lug nuts" around the edges). And so he got the wires with the insurance money....
I have no pictures of this truck with any of the covers or wheels, lost them six years ago in the same house fire that got Dad too. That's why I was excited to see what I still think is at least part of that truck in Conroe at the swap meet, February before last. But unfortunately when I had a chance to go back out to where it was, they had left.
I've seen them. I believe all of the Beau James trucks came from the factory with them

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I've seen them. I believe all of the Beau James trucks came from the factory with them
That makes sense. My dad's name was Jim and he really wanted a Beau James or a Gentleman Jim. So he made one, after a fashion....he was always one for customizing.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Drivers window started stuttering on the way up when I got back from my buddies house where we looked at the AC compressor and adjusted the v belt. It has rained a lot here so I haven't been driving it. Took some time today to trouble shoot the window motor. I popped the panel and pulled out the regulator/motor. All the nuts and bolts were loose connecting the motor to the regulator so I tightened all those up and plugged back in and reset. After reseting the drivers window now gets nothing when hitting the switch but passenger window does. I found a new motor at the first auto parts store I called so got that and retried again with the same results. Eventually I saw a wire no longer connected to the capacitor(?) on the switch. Not sure how to re-connect. Also looked at the fuse for power window and it is an unfamiliar kind to me. How can I check this one. I am assuming since the passenger window is still working it's not the fuse. Anyone with extended knowledge on this stuff let me know what you think. I am so disappointed and at
a loss especially after swapping in and out the first time about 2 years ago with instant success. Any info is helpful.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Fuse out of panel.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Drivers window started stuttering on the way up when I got back from my buddies house where we looked at the AC compressor and adjusted the v belt. It has rained a lot here so I haven't been driving it. Took some time today to trouble shoot the window motor. I popped the panel and pulled out the regulator/motor. All the nuts and bolts were loose connecting the motor to the regulator so I tightened all those up and plugged back in and reset. After reseting the drivers window now gets nothing when hitting the switch but passenger window does. I found a new motor at the first auto parts store I called so got that and retried again with the same results. Eventually I saw a wire no longer connected to the capacitor(?) on the switch. Not sure how to re-connect. Also looked at the fuse for power window and it is an unfamiliar kind to me. How can I check this one. I am assuming since the passenger window is still working it's not the fuse. Anyone with extended knowledge on this stuff let me know what you think. I am so disappointed and at
a loss especially after swapping in and out the first time about 2 years ago with instant success. Any info is helpful.
I don't think there's a way to get that wire back in the connector (at least not with any tools I have). But I do know you can buy those window switch connectors new, they come with wire leads that you just splice into the existing wiring. That may be your only option at this point.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Fuse out of panel.
It’s a circuit breaker, self resetting.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I don't think there's a way to get that wire back in the connector (at least not with any tools I have). But I do know you can buy those window switch connectors new, they come with wire leads that you just splice into the existing wiring. That may be your only option at this point.
Zach @TotalyHucked Is there a parts place you recommend?? I only see them in the LMC catalogue so far.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
1975, 1987
Truck Model
K5 Blazer, R1500
Engine Size
454, 350 tbi
Finished my vapor lock and starter heat soak fixes for the 454 Blazer. Insulated sections of the fuel line under the hood, wrapped a section of the RH exhaust pipe that ran close to the fuel lines and added a heat shield and 1/2” thick phenolic spacer under the carb.

The starter worked great until you tried to start the hot engine after it’s been parked for a few minutes. Then it was a nail-biter as to wether it would crank or not. Had the same problem with my 57 BelAir (383 Stroker) and my 87 Squarebody. Bought a new starter for a 99 Suburban 454 which is half the size and is a permanent magnet, gear reduction unit not much affected by heat soak. Spins that big block over like it’s nobody’s business. From my research GM started moving from the older direct drive starters to the permanent magnet gear reduction units around 1999. Good move!

Today’s stress test was successful! No vapor lock and instant starts of a hot engine parked for about 10 minutes on asphalt. Plus a beautiful day for a topless drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78crustdumdlux