This is a coolant leak right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you want to SHOP to see what is available, check out summit racing. They have several brands and types of radiators to choose from. Then after seeing what is available, use the part numbers to source the type you want locally. We bought a brass radiator from Summit and it worked and fit great.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look I'm not talkin chit (much) but you could have fixed it that day - A WEEK AGO.
Ye olde radiator repair shoppe and them "good olde days" are long gone even though the truck remains.

You're the only guy that is gonna make it easy on you..tryin to help. :shrug:

Evidently, the good ole days are still alive and well where I live.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
If you can find the leak yourself there's some radiator puddy I got from Walmart or parts house that works really well. I put it on the 82 and it has held up well. I was gonna buy a new one but tried that first and it's help up ever since. Just another option for you. I'll take a picture of it when I get home if you want me
Thanks for the info, I think I’m leaning toward this option. It’s really difficult to tell where the leak is coming from with the fan shroud installed. I tried unbolting it at the top, but that’s still didn’t really give me enough clearance to see much. Is the best approach to pull the radiator and pressurize it and hit it with snoop to find the leaks? If so, what is the best way to pressurize the radiator and to what max pressure?

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
If you want to SHOP to see what is available, check out summit racing. They have several brands and types of radiators to choose from. Then after seeing what is available, use the part numbers to source the type you want locally. We bought a brass radiator from Summit and it worked and fit great.
I’ve been looking at a lot of different sites and I guess what so confusing or all the many varying opinions about aluminum versus brass, etc. Ideally, I don’t want to spend $400 or $500. Seems like Summit and champion have some good options. I want something that’s reliable that isn’t gonna leak again while I own this truck if I do invest in replacing it. I don’t need the best of the best but I want good quality and a good value.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Thanks for the info, I think I’m leaning toward this option. It’s really difficult to tell where the leak is coming from with the fan shroud installed. I tried unbolting it at the top, but that’s still didn’t really give me enough clearance to see much. Is the best approach to pull the radiator and pressurize it and hit it with snoop to find the leaks? If so, what is the best way to pressurize the radiator and to what max pressure?
Mine was right where I could get to it without having to remove it. You should be able to shove the fan shroud towards the motor and slide the radiator up and out after disconnecting the hoses and transmission lines. I think it wouldn't take much pressure to get it to leak. Maybe 25 or 30 pounds of air. Soapy water should work. I'll take some pictures of it when I get home from work.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
This is what I used. It should work. I just globbed on some and pushed it on And let it harden. It works even if it's a little wet. I probably used a little more than I needed but it holds.
You must be registered for see images attach

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
This is what I used. It should work. I just globbed on some and pushed it on And let it harden. It works even if it's a little wet. I probably used a little more than I needed but it holds.

Awesome, thanks for all the pictures and information. Looks like I’ll be pulling my radiator this weekend to try this. Thanks for your help.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Took my 86 rad to get it fixed, but was bad corroded, many tiny holes. Your truck looks like it does not have air, so very easy to fix. I bought a new rad through the shop that I took my radiator to, about $570, but with care, should out last me.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Took my 86 rad to get it fixed, but was bad corroded, many tiny holes. Your truck looks like it does not have air, so very easy to fix. I bought a new rad through the shop that I took my radiator to, about $570, but with care, should out last me.
Mine does have ac but I’m but I’m not at a place where I’m ready to tackle that …luxury lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SHANE_DONNELLY