Slow Climb To The Top

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gill finn

Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hello all, I have an '84 C20 350 automatic, I believe it's a TH400, it seems to shift well from a stop, but when I get to a slight grade it will not drop into a lower gear. It used to, but no longer and as a result of course the engine will rev but that's it. Of course I can manually shift into a lower gear, then up into second and on into drive after picking up speed or cresting the hill but it won't get it on its own and the same goes for down shifting when attempting to pass or just merging into traffic, engine revs with no push from dropping into a lower gear. Torque converter? Fluid is fine, looks and smells good. Anyway, wondering what the brain trust can come up with, I miss that old performance. Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited:

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Modulator valve dead? Or vacuum line popped/disconnected? I don't have a lot of experience with transmissions (TH400), but when mine became disconnected, my trans acted really goofy. Also, there's a yellow wire under the dash that I disconnected on accident. Had some weird effect on the trans as well

gill finn

Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I believe it's a TH400 but I'll find out for sure, thanks.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I believe it's a TH400 but I'll find out for sure, thanks.
Hey man, responded to your post on Youtube - here's the copy:

I'm thinking either kick down cable possibly out of adjustment, kick-down valve sticking in its bore in the valve body or vacuum modulator system not functioning...I'd first check vacuum at the modulator to ensure you have at least 15hg. If you do (and the hose isn't cracked or damaged in anyway), I'd test the modulator...You'll have to look up the test procedure but you can use a hand-held vacuum pump to test it. Once the modulator is off, take a pencil magnet and remove the modulator valve - see if it's stuck or dragging real bad...If so, take bench buddies (small abrasive hones) and polish the bore (bench buddies are used with a drill)...Also, if the valve has real bad scoring or feels rough to the touch, put it in the drill and polish each land with sand paper (800-1000 grit) - spray it and the bench buddies with WD40.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Never heard of bench buddies? Is it a powder like bonami or Ajax? I've used bonami for cleaning Cylinder walls up from rust. Hasn't scratched yet lol

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Never heard of bench buddies? Is it a powder like bonami or Ajax? I've used bonami for cleaning Cylinder walls up from rust. Hasn't scratched yet lol
They are small abrasive hones for use on valve body and pump bores where valves are located. Same concept as bottle brush hones for engine cylinders, and same procedure...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwmadera