New GMC Owner with shifting troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203
Take a blown blade-type fuse and solder a 194 (dash light) to the terminals.
With the battery hooked up, and ignition OFF, pull each fuse one-by one and replace it
with your new tester.
If the bulb glows; even slightly, you've found the circuit that is causing you parasitic draw.
If it doesn't glow, you're good. Move to the next fuse.

WhosCacti

Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
Truck Model
G3500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
Take a blown blade-type fuse and solder a 194 (dash light) to the terminals.
With the battery hooked up, and ignition OFF, pull each fuse one-by one and replace it
with your new tester.
If the bulb glows; even slightly, you've found the circuit that is causing you parasitic draw.
If it doesn't glow, you're good. Move to the next fuse.
Replaced all my fuses a while ago, there shouldn’t be any fuses causing a draw. Most of them were blown.

I don’t think a parasitic draw would’ve caused my battery to die after 15mins of idling

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Put as much fluid in as you took out. At least to start with.
Stop trying to run it low on fluid. You can look up how much to replace with a filter change. (It’s about half the total capacity).

WhosCacti

Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
Truck Model
G3500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
Nope. Fuse won't cause a draw but something on the circuit it's protecting can. Sounds like you have a corroded or loose connection somewhere.
So I’m a bit on a tight timeline. As I just found out Sept 3rd I start my automotive technician course at university. I have to get the van 4 and a half hours up the coast + two ferries. I have a brand new alternator on its way, and I’ll try and fill her up with even more fluid.

I’ve done an alternator job before but not on a vehicle of this size. I’ve been told that the front end including my radiator should come off as one unit. The engine seems to have two belts, but I’m not sure what to expect.

How do we feel about getting this job done in less than a month? Anything I should look out for to make this job as smooth as possible? I can’t imagine it being more difficult than changing a heat core… right?

Thanks for all the help and support everyone!

WhosCacti

Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
Truck Model
G3500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
It's been a while for me but I can't see the entire front end coming out to change the alt.
I’ll attach some photos of the engine bay when I get home. The engine is pushed back pretty far. I’d say only about 10% of the engine is accessible from the outside.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Have you taken off the doghouse to see if the alternator is accessible from the top? That big hump in between the driver and passenger seat is removable to access the engine for repairs and maintenance. I doubt you need to remove the front end to replace an alternator.

WhosCacti

Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
Truck Model
G3500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
Have you taken off the doghouse to see if the alternator is accessible from the top? That big hump in between the driver and passenger seat is removable to access the engine for repairs and maintenance. I doubt you need to remove the front end to replace an alternator.
Alternator is in the front of the engine back, doghouse only gives access to things like my cruise control or air filter.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Alternator is in the front of the engine back, doghouse only gives access to things like my cruise control or air filter.
I've never worked on a van or motor home, so it was a shot in the dark. Still don't see the front end needing to come off. Yes, it opens things up, but it doesn't seem necessary. I know the engineers have stupid designs sometimes.

Let's see some pics of the engine bay

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
If you can’t get it from the front and can’t see it from the back, then it might take a while…

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Side note: funny how it’s called a doghouse and not a “horse stable”
My guess is because that is where a dog likes to sit if there is one riding in the cabin while going down the road

WhosCacti

Reaction score
First Name
Wyatt
Truck Year
Truck Model
G3500
Engine Size
5.7L V8
I've never worked on a van or motor home, so it was a shot in the dark. Still don't see the front end needing to come off. Yes, it opens things up, but it doesn't seem necessary. I know the engineers have stupid designs sometimes.

Let's see some pics of the engine bay
Here’s a look at the front of the engine bay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 25