ls swap water- camaro pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
are you LS swap guys going to the camaro water pump and running a stock radiator? Looks lke that would be a good setup if the belts lineup with truck accessories?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@plugugly I ran the pump that came with the engine and running the stock square radiator. I had a port soldered in the radiator tank below the filler for the steam port. Cheap, effective, less points of failure, and the ability to stop at the local parts store to get a replacement without having to drill a port in the pump right then and there.

Of course you'll have to do it yourself unless you have a radiator shop close by like I do.

Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Just an FYI, there's a difference in pulley spacing between the LS3 and the L99 camaro pumps. The L99 works with the truck/SUV belt setup. I'm running an L99 camaro pump on mine but I have a big block rad (CU730 from Spectra) with a 99-07 classic (NBS) truck lower hose and an '06 Corvette upper hose. You also have to use the ICT Billet's idler relocation kit and trim an ear off the alt/PS bracket. Works very well

You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
are you LS swap guys going to the camaro water pump and running a stock radiator? Looks lke that would be a good setup if the belts lineup with truck accessories?
I'm confused why you wouldn't just use the stock truck pump and accessories if they are already on the engine. Run your heater lines to the truck pump lines, run the steam port line from the LS to the previously used heater return nipple on the stock radiator. Run stock LS truck upper and lower hose and be done.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
i thought stock LS has passenger side inlet and outlet? The rad in my sons diesel blazer has drivers side upper port (return?) which I assumed was normal for blazers?

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Just an FYI, there's a difference in pulley spacing between the LS3 and the L99 camaro pumps. The L99 works with the truck/SUV belt setup. I'm running an L99 camaro pump on mine but I have a big block rad (CU730 from Spectra) with a 99-07 classic (NBS) truck lower hose and an '06 Corvette upper hose. You also have to use the ICT Billet's idler relocation kit and trim an ear off the alt/PS bracket. Works very well

You must be registered for see images attach
thanks, that looks about what I was thinking. The L99, is that the 2010 plus camaro? you running AC?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
thanks, that looks about what I was thinking. The L99, is that the 2010 plus camaro? you running AC?
L99 is the automatic engine, LS3 is what the stick cars got. I think it was for a 2010 L99/auto is how I ordered it from Rock Auto. I don't have my AC done at this point but have verified that a truck compressor mounted low (in the OE position) will work just like it will in a truck, with a separate belt from the crank to the AC comp

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
L99 is the automatic engine, LS3 is what the stick cars got. I think it was for a 2010 L99/auto is how I ordered it from Rock Auto. I don't have my AC done at this point but have verified that a truck compressor mounted low (in the OE position) will work just like it will in a truck, with a separate belt from the crank to the AC comp

so what accessory brackets are you using? An envoy ac bracket, camaro water pump and truck steering/alt?

was your clearance from pushing the motor forward? Id like to keep mine back as far as possible with it being a 4x4 and likely seeing off road miles. COG can be important for that, depending on how "extreme" the kid wants to take in the future. (even though I have a strictly off road car I told him he can drive, KIDS)

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
so what accessory brackets are you using? An envoy ac bracket, camaro water pump and truck steering/alt?

was your clearance from pushing the motor forward? Id like to keep mine back as far as possible with it being a 4x4 and likely seeing off road miles. COG can be important for that, depending on how "extreme" the kid wants to take in the future. (even though I have a strictly off road car I told him he can drive, KIDS)
My motor came out of an Envoy. The Alternator/Power Steering bracket is identical to the truck bracket, spacing wise (the pump is different and uses a different bolt pattern, so you can't mix and match an Envoy/Trailblazer and truck pump or bracket). Everything is essentially the same as a truck though, the L99 water pump will work with either the truck or SUV setup.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
i thought stock LS has passenger side inlet and outlet? The rad in my sons diesel blazer has drivers side upper port (return?) which I assumed was normal for blazers?
yes, both ports are on the passenger side on the trucks, but the truck upper hose runs across to the drivers side port on the radiator. If you use a camaro water pump, it changes that port to the location in the pics above and then you use the stock squarebody upper radiator hose. So you either use all the LS hoses with the stock truck pump, or you use the squarebody hoses with the camaro pump. The upper hose is the outlet on the engine and inlet on the radiator. Water is pulled out of the bottom of the radiator into the water pump and then sent through the engine.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
My motor came out of an Envoy. The Alternator/Power Steering bracket is identical to the truck bracket, spacing wise (the pump is different and uses a different bolt pattern, so you can't mix and match an Envoy/Trailblazer and truck pump or bracket). Everything is essentially the same as a truck though, the L99 water pump will work with either the truck or SUV setup.
the envoy ac bracket is tighter though right, if I understood your build thread correctly??? Id love to not notch the frame AND keep the motor back as far as possiible. The truck bracket uses a saginaw pump which I am fine with as it has dual returns for our hydroboost setup.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
the envoy ac bracket is tighter though right, if I understood your build thread correctly??? Id love to not notch the frame AND keep the motor back as far as possiible. The truck bracket uses a saginaw pump which I am fine with as it has dual returns for our hydroboost setup.
Not really tighter, just different. A truck bracket and pump clears the frame rails just fine with no mods. Because of the reservoir kind of off to the side, I had to bend the frame rail down probably a half inch or more and drill a hole for the return hose to go into it. If you've already got a truck bracket, I'd stick with that. It's easier.

That said, I can only speak of all this using the Tejas Steelworks engine mounts. They move the engine up an inch and forward an inch to make installation as easy as possible. If you're not using those, you may run into clearance issues that I did not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy