Tires for Stock Rims '79 K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lewman2022

Reaction score
First Name
Lew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C/K20
Engine Size
You didn’t say how wide the rims are but stock would be how wide?
Just put some tires on it if the rims are straight. It will be fine.
Plus if they’re ‘79 wheels I think they’d have safety beads anyways.

This is not a rabbit hole you need to worry about although some do.
I think the rims are 6.5" wide...getting the old tires off today, so I can see if it is marked or measure.

I wasn't worried about all this until I started reading old posts from you guys-there was soooo much discussion I wanted to be sure.

I've had a few Squarebodys over the years, but this is the first project Squarebody.

Trying to restore it as mostly stock; we'll see how it ends-up. Thanks

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
despite what another has said to you, there is little risk esp with the condition your wheels are obviously.
You must be registered for see images attach

if you use that last pic you can see where the stamps are, then you can use the charts to see anything maybe important

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think the rims are 6.5" wide...getting the old tires off today, so I can see if it is marked or measure.

I wasn't worried about all this until I started reading old posts from you guys-there was soooo much discussion I wanted to be sure.

I've had a few Squarebodys over the years, but this is the first project Squarebody.

It is extremely common to run a 285/75/16 on a 6.5" wide rim. It's not "proper" based on the specs given by most tire manufacturers, but it works. The 265 tire you mentioned is closer to spec, but I believe it's actually just a tad shorter in OD than your current 235/85 tire.

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks guys-

Always had good luck with Wranglers on my F-150 (130,000 miles on the first set, 30,000 on the current set-just getting broken in).
(I know you don't believe me; I can live with that.)

As for the Squarebody K20, not going to carry heavy loads. Just want a tire/rim that looks stock, just a little taller/wider.

I have a set of 37-12.50 16.5 Hummer tires on the Squarebody now, looks really cool, but they are way too big.
(Just wanted to see what it would look like.)

May even end-up with a 7.50-16 tube-type Deestone or Powerking bias ply tire, but they are very thin. (the 9.00-16's are very expensive)
You drove 130,000 miles on a set of tires?
Thanks guys-

Always had good luck with Wranglers on my F-150 (130,000 miles on the first set, 30,000 on the current set-just getting broken in).
(I know you don't believe me; I can live with that.)

As for the Squarebody K20, not going to carry heavy loads. Just want a tire/rim that looks stock, just a little taller/wider.

I have a set of 37-12.50 16.5 Hummer tires on the Squarebody now, looks really cool, but they are way too big.
(Just wanted to see what it would look like.)

May even end-up with a 7.50-16 tube-type Deestone or Powerking bias ply tire, but they are very thin. (the 9.00-16's are very expensive)
am I miss reading this you were able to get 130,000 miles out of a set of tires? I want those. My assumption is I have misread this. I was unaware any tire could be safe on the street after 50,000.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You drove 130,000 miles on a set of tires?

am I miss reading this you were able to get 130,000 miles out of a set of tires? I want those. My assumption is I have misread this. I was unaware any tire could be safe on the street after 50,000.

I've got 80k out of tires a few times.

My dad got 120k+ on a set of Avon tires. After about 60k, they got rock hard and quit wearing. They eventually were dangerous in rain and snow and we replaced them.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350

Nope you’re fine. If you look at the wheel specs @AuroraGirl posted, they all have safety beads except the weird dually van rims, and it’s doubtful those wouldn’t either by 1979.
Get some cool 16” tires in your favorite flavor and let er rip.
Tube vs tubeless rim doesn't matter per the chart either. And 16s are all the preferable Bead angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo