OEM Breather replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok, I have found the metal breather and lid that houses the air filter and the parts houses want over $200 for them.
In my OP, I said I wanted to cut off the snorkle part of the breather and patch in a piece of sheet metal to cover the opening, left from the removal of the entire snorkle.
I had no plans to route any flex hose in to feed cold air in to carb.

That said, I really liked the dual snorkle off the Vette's.
It would be worth while setting that up with flex hose coming in from outside the bay for cold air.

Too many options, not enuf C10's...

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The exhaust flow doesn't matter if your engine can't overflow the exhaust. You have a 350? The snorkel is more than sufficient, especially since it's forcing air straight in. Cut the shield off the front of the inlet mount and you'll have ram air.

1977 air cleaner had no cold air. Very small air inlet to the air cleaner.

You must be registered for see images attach

Marty, Buy any open element air cleaner you like much cheaper than the stock replacement. Use a 3/4" spacer ring between the new air cleaner housing and the Quad.

Cost for air cleaner, $35. Spacer at $15 or less.
Somehow, sucking air in thru a 1-1/2" snorkle opening just doesn't seem fitting for the long tube headers w/ 2-1/2" dual exhaust .
And if the factory snorkle was good, why can't I find a replacement in any where?
Air cleaner from NAPA or Advance Auto or where you buy your parts. Price is for a 10", 14" is $10 more.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Just occurred to me depending on which breather you have now you can just run a taller element or 2 short elements stacked, with a longer hold down rod. Should get more air than you could need

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Trivia for you - did you know that most of the Edelbrock air cleaners will also not fit on an Edelbrock 1406 carburetor unless you use a spacer? The stock 1406 fuel fitting and choke are too high and they hit the bottom of the air cleaner. You need either a spacer, and/or the fuel line with banjo fitting that routes the fuel line lower.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

this air cleaner came with my 1406

but I wanted to use the OEM, but I dditn have a spacer. my air cleaner from GM wants to hit the distributor without a spacer. I dont use a banjo line, but when I do finally upgrade this, I want to eliminate the stock fuel line from pump, to simple flare ,to fuel hose, to filter i have hanging in front of the carb, and the stealthy banjo one you mention can be used to nicely route the pipe. you could directly pump to the fuel pump with a hardline, but id still be using a filter (metal!) so as to protect the carb.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo