Fuel return diy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

projectmidnight74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
Great evening to the gurus of this great forum.
I am in the final stages of finishing up on this project. One of my last 2 missions is to resolve the vapor lock. I plan to purchase the WIC 33040 fuel filter with extra output for return..my thoughts are to route that return to the tank area and create a snug brass fitting on the rubber portion of the vent line.
Good idea or bad idea. I am attaching a pic.

projectmidnight74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
Pic of tank and fill line and vent line beside it.

Attachments

• PXL_20241006_030312612.jpg
    PXL_20241006_030312612.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 11

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I really think the brass fitting in the hose will leak.

Find a piece of tubing the correct size, put a nipple in the side and splice it in to the vent hose.

I think someone actually makes a tube like I described but I can’t remember who it was.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You could also just change your sending unit to one with 3 ports. My ‘75 already had one, and when I replaced it I found they were stocked at some AutoZone stores. I don’t recall the price.

Robert Bare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
First, are you sure it's vapor lock? Try running it without the gas cap.
I doubt the filter/return will help. How do I know? Because I have a 401 jeep J10, used to haul a camper in it. But, even without the camper, still can do it..did about 2 months ago, hauling wood pellets home. This has the original tank(tiny) up front, then a big one I added years ago, where the spare tire used to hang. Out here, lots of ethanol "winter fuel" most the year. Running ethanol free really helps, but is expensive.
So, years ago, what I did was wrap all the lines in insulation and aluminum foil, from pump to tank.
Yep that helped quite a bit.
What "cured" it?? Added a pusher pump, back along the frame.When it starts to die, staring for fuel, I reach down and turn on the switch and turn pump on. In a few seconds, zoom, off we go!
And this jeep does not even have A/C!
Added the pump probably about 20-25 years ago, for this problem. Most of the small electric pumps have light poppet valves, so even when off the regular fuel pump will draw fuel through them. Easy to check, just suck on one. BUT, have put others on customers trucks, and they just let them run all the time.
OK, that's my 2 cents, and experiences.

projectmidnight74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
So, I have a file pressure regulator that has the ports but I had to use one to add a gauge to it so I can actually know what my fuel pressure was. I can see the fuel bubbling on the filter after hard drives at **** off. I can also see the blue smoke and it smells like fuel sometimes at idle. It doesn't always do it, but I'm my thought process, when the bowls get full on the Edelbrock it has nowhere to go so it becomes rich and begins to flood. I'm only running 5.5 psi to the carb from a 7psi electric pump so what left needs to go somewhere.

projectmidnight74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
You could also just change your sending unit to one with 3 ports. My ‘75 already had one, and when I replaced it I found they were stocked at some AutoZone stores. I don’t recall the price.
I just don't want to stop that tank a 3rd time. It sucks lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdamery