Fuel return diy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

projectmidnight74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
Chevrolet started running 3 line bypass pumps with a return to the tank on nothing crazy,stone stock, carbureated small blocks in 1979. There is no reason that good bypass regulator would be any more liable to fail than the regulator you put on there. @Bextreme04 gave you good advice and good reason why you should run a bypass. There is one more reason and maybe even one of the problems you are having. With a 2 line pump,fuel pressure is held against the needle and seat when you park. As the fuel heats in the line in a hot soak,it explains the extra pressure blows the needle and seat open,extra fuel spills into the bowl and floods the manifold. On a hot restart you have too much fuel,not enough air you pump the pedal and it starts,because of the extra air,and the black poof out the tail pipe is too rich mixture. With a bypass the extra fuel bleeds back to the tank
Got it. Feed me links to good bypasses for a carb system. Edelbrock based. Lol

projectmidnight74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
On second thought. I think I got it. Thanks for the advice and I will provide updates. Soon.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
On second thought. I think I got it. Thanks for the advice and I will provide updates. Soon.
See if you can exchange the 803 for an 803bp. If not I can explain a different method. I do not know if you will understand it or be able to accomplish it. Get another fitting like the one you have on the bottom of your regulator, solder the opening shut and drill a .060 orifice in it or see if you can tap it and put a carbureator jet with a .060 orifice in it. Now put that where your gauge ispresently,that will be your return. Move the gauge to the other side mounted on a tee. If you cant the whole mess a few degrees so the return port is the higher than the pressure port it will also bleed out vapor. Do not get me wrong. I still think a purpose built bypass regulator would be better. I am just using an approximate orifice the builders would know what actual diamension would work best.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Why are you running an electric pump at all? Is this a high HP engine with no mechanical pump provisions or something?

Reactions: WFO

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If OP is open to using a mechanical fuel pump, then edelbrock sells a mechanical pump that is internally regulated to the proper pressure for edelbrocks. Insulating the fuel lines near the engine/exhaust, and having a heat shield of some kind to deflect some road heat on the long sections will help with the fuel issue. The electric fuel pump can still be used, but it has to be one that the mechanical pump can "Suck through" , or else the pumps might fight eachother possibly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taij20