Fixing large door/cab gap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm fitting my doors on to set the hinge position on the cab prior to removing the doors and finishing the final body work. This truck, like most all, has a fairly large gap at the top and at the A pillar, almost half an inch. This truck was like that since new and I've hated it all the way so I want to fix it. I already fixed the curve at the bottom of the door at the rocker panel by welding 3/32 stainless steel welding rod in the center and making it straight, not that anybody but me will notice at the bottom, but I want to fix the large gaps at the top and the A pillar. I'm not going back with the rain gutters either. The gap is good at the rear of door against the cab, and at the fender, and at the rocker. I plan on welding steel rod and body working to fix the gaps so my questions is should I use rod on the door or on the cab? I guess either but has anybody done this to fix the large gaps in this area before? I attached a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Cab gap 1.jpg
    Cab gap 1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 48
  • Cab gap 2.jpg
    Cab gap 2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I’d do the wire edge to the door. Since you have access to both sides of the door welding and finishing is easier. If the door was ever needed to be replaced down the road, a new door should fit into the aperture without issues since it will be unaltered.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
^Agreed with Lego, easier welding access and it'll be much easier to fit the new door to the unaltered cab than if the cab were modded. These cabs are different enough already and that causes plenty of headaches, don't wanna make it worse

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks to both. I'll do the doors. I actually adjusted some more and got the gap closer but I'll still need to use some rod to get it the way I always wanted it to be. Much fun.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yep, that A-pillar gap was never great but some trucks are definitely worse than others. My '85 isn't too bad at all but our '76 shop truck, I can stick my thumb in sideways

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yep, that A-pillar gap was never great but some trucks are definitely worse than others. My '85 isn't too bad at all but our '76 shop truck, I can stick my thumb in sideways
:oops:

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Funny, I went to Walmart yesterday and saw one around 1985 and the gaps were very nice, made me jealous, ha. It looked all original.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yeah, just like most everything on these trucks, they just dialed them in a little better and built them a little nicer on the later ones

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, it sure seems like it. My dad bought this 78 new so I've known it since I was 11. Nobody has ever worked on it but us. When I removed the back glass and gasket I noticed a dent inside the cab that the seal partially covered up that looks like they missed one of the spot welds and made the dent, they just slapped the gasket on. I've noticed other glitches also. On the front of the bed on the outside there's a large blue run in the factory paint that looks like they set the gun pattern knowing it wouldn't be seen, at least for 46 years. I found a couple of extra VIN tag rivets in the cab under the carpet.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Haha it's amazing what you'll find in an unscrewed with truck. That's awesome y'all have had it since new. Wish my dad had kept something of his...

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
To me that gap is great.
How does the door to rocker gap look? The hinges can easily be opened up for more adjustment.
I’m fighting the door to body gap at the striker area. I fabbed some pieces to go on the body there, plug welded them in place.

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Haha it's amazing what you'll find in an unscrewed with truck. That's awesome y'all have had it since new. Wish my dad had kept something of his...
Yes, I'm glad he kept it, I learned to drive in it and we have a lot of memories in it. I forgot to mention that in around 1990 I rebuilt the original turbo 350 that was never touched before me. It was missing the brake band. I remember the truck would never "brake" while off the gas and decelerating. I put one in it though. He bought a Chevelle Malibu in 74 also but I rolled it when I was in high school, ha.

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To me that gap is great.
How does the door to rocker gap look? The hinges can easily be opened up for more adjustment.
I’m fighting the door to body gap at the striker area. I fabbed some pieces to go on the body there, plug welded them in place.
Well, I got the gap a lot closer after I took those pics so it's going to be fine. My gaps in the striker area on both doors measure about .180 and the hinges are as far forward as they can go without grinding the holes out on the hinges but I'm leaving them alone since it looks good like that. I guess since you are fabbing up metal your gaps are wide there, how wide? I think .250 is the goal but I'm not sure.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
From the 1979 FSM (should be same for a 78)
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy