Best way to transport 19 55 gallon barrels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

im looking at very little fitting, overall, in my extended cabs short bed if i either set the tailgate down and have them sitting on it , or if i remove my toolbox and use the bed up to the cab,

And one drum will be metal, the rest plastic. I could optimistically fit one inside the cab in the back seat
Two if no passenger

You must be registered for see images attach

I have rails for a 5th wheel which i think i can exploit to help hold down these things, but they wont be sitting that flat either for the same reason.
Of course, I will need to trailer the rest. I have my truck bed trailer, in fact, its cleaned out the only thing is that the topper is there, which would permit the same height of stack as this photo above, but i would be limited in the very front where its angled up to ramp above a truck cab.

I could also remove it, but to no gain in carrying capacity that I could conceive.

I have my car trailer, flat deck and large, great tires , so not worried there. Would take my magnetic tails because one side is bad somewhere. But whats the best way to bundle them that way? all 1 high, wrap them into a giant grid , and then strap the grid down to the trailer? small stack in the center? weight wont be really much issue here so i wouldnt need to be "centering" over an axle , its not a lot of weight.

I am going to need to get a couple ratchet straps I think to do such large distances , small ones work but the length is at issue I could also use chains

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
With the tail gate down you can get 10 in standing up. A layer of 5 on top of those lashed together laid on their sides and in the bed width wise. Another layer of 4 on top of that lashed together and that layer lashed to the one below. Throw a tarp or fishing net over the whole mess and lash down into the bed. Can probably use jetline like home depot uses for twine.Can be tied down if you know how to tie a hay hitch. Lash your 4 layer and 5 layer like building a raft. Layer is 10-5-4

Attachments

• 20240923_142039.jpg
    20240923_142039.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240923_142030.jpg
    20240923_142030.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
I'd guess that the car trailer with them all standing up, staggered to nest if possible. Wrap a rope with a ratchet strap as a "belt" around them all (duplicate if you feel the need), then a couple tie downs across from side to side to keep the pack from taking flight should work, if your flatbed is large enough.
We have metal drums sent to our sites regularly, I believe it is 80 drums per 18 wheeler flatbed, for reference. Metal obviously wants to stay in place a little easier, but they are still strapped down for the trip from Houston to Arkansas etc. Ideally you could place them 4 to a pallet, wrap them together and then strapped to the pallet and loaded that way, but that feels like overkill for what you are describing...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
With the tail gate down you can get 10 in standing up. A layer of 5 on top of those lashed together laid on there side and in the bed width wise. Another layer of 4 on top of that lashed together and that layer lashed to the one below. Throw a tarp or fishing net over the whole mes and lash down into the bed. Can be down with rope if you know how to tie a hay hitch. Lash your 4 layer and 5 layer like building a raft
That sounds exciting but i think im going to go with less height since i will likely be doing it by myself and i dont mind pulling a trailer and i would have to be more confident in my rigging skills and such, lol. thank yuou tho.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
That sounds exciting but i think im going to go with less height since i will likely be doing it by myself and i dont mind pulling a trailer and i would have to be more confident in my rigging skills and such, lol. thank yuou tho.
Okay 8 standing up in the bed 11 standing up on a trailer. The layered method barrel stack would be a little over 6 feet

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't even want to ask :shakehead:. Oh wait, maybe you bought a franchise and are starting an NHOU Underbody Coating business? :laughing1:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don't even want to ask :shakehead:. Oh wait, maybe you bought a franchise and are starting an NHOU Underbody Coating business? :laughing1:
No, i need trash cans. (I think i will be more organized if i have a trash can nearby more often) and I also need more places for motor oil. Im at 100 gallons and I have bought a few drain pans to avoid dumping them out, i nee capacity. And no im not recylcling

I paid less than 10$

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miles 59