87 V10 Custom Deluxe TBI Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnuiver

Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Good morning,

My Wife bought me and 1987 Custom Deluxe V10, 350, with a nice plow for the Property up north. 92,000 miles. Been sitting for 14 years. Cleaned off the motor. removed the rusty Plugs and changed them. (no easy task) Smog pump and pipes have dissolved so I removed them, put a 25k resistor in place. New fuel tank, filter and pump. Cleaned the tbi and flushed the fuel lines. Cap and wires which turned into a distributer when both screws broke off for the cap. Exhaust is missing yet where it rusted through in front of the Cat. Battery in Cranks over no start but will run only if I bottle feed it. No signal to the injectors. 12.3 volts on the positive side, injectors open if i manually ground them. New ground strap on the back of the motor. Suggestions? Tried to externally ground the ECM no joy.

dd1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
ecm could be rusty, I would clean contacts, look for any cut cable under dash

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'd start here and see where it takes you. the manuals are in the Reference Library.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240729_151523_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240729_151523_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 19

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Good morning,

My Wife bought me and 1987 Custom Deluxe V10, 350, with a nice plow for the Property up north. 92,000 miles. Been sitting for 14 years. Cleaned off the motor. removed the rusty Plugs and changed them. (no easy task) Smog pump and pipes have dissolved so I removed them, put a 25k resistor in place. New fuel tank, filter and pump. Cleaned the tbi and flushed the fuel lines. Cap and wires which turned into a distributer when both screws broke off for the cap. Exhaust is missing yet where it rusted through in front of the Cat. Battery in Cranks over no start but will run only if I bottle feed it. No signal to the injectors. 12.3 volts on the positive side, injectors open if i manually ground them. New ground strap on the back of the motor. Suggestions? Tried to externally ground the ECM no joy.

Can you provide a little more detail about replacing the smog pump and pipes with a 25K resistor? I'm not familiar with this but it could become relevant to me later (my truck still has all the AIR injection but it could be contributory to my lean fuel error so that might need to change).

gnuiver

Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Can you provide a little more detail about replacing the smog pump and pipes with a 25K resistor? I'm not familiar with this but it could become relevant to me later (my truck still has all the AIR injection but it could be contributory to my lean fuel error so that might need to change).
I got the resistor sizing on Chevytalk.org for deleting the smog pump. I'm told it makes the ECM think it is still operating.

gnuiver

Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'd start here and see where it takes you. the manuals are in the Reference Library.
Forgive my ignorance I'm new. Can you direct me to the library

gnuiver

Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
ecm could be rusty, I would clean contacts, look for any cut cable under dash
No corrosion on the contacts in the ecm opened it up no burning or corrosion inside either. Wires have no evidence of Fivel the mouse either. Checked the grounds under the hood. Changed the ground strap from the fire wall to the block on the passenger side. Still no fuel. Going to get a reman ecm and try that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garybest