Whatcha do with that...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey,
Whatcha guys do with the old parts ya take off your project?
I mean, the old manifolds, water pumps, alt. and the likes..?
Is there really much call for the old parts?

Thanks.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I keep most of it just in case
I thought about that and it is what promped me to ask.
Because one side thinks, "you bought the part you replaced and if that goes bad would you bolt the old part back on, or get a new replacement?"
I'd get a new replacement, of course.
Now the other side thinks, "Yea, but what if a potential buyer wants the old original parts that I replaced?"
(Not my problem...lol)

I dunno. I'm torn, but I really don't want to try and store the old parts in some corner of the barn.
I'm trying to de-clutter a bit now.

I think I may have collector-itis. It's a serious pain in everyone elses a$$ who has to clean up all your junk after ya croak.

Honestly, it's my belly button lint collection I'm most fond of. But I know my 15 lb ear wax ball will cause the biggest fight. That and the kitty whisker collection.

(all I could picture in my mind was Gomez Aadams or Uncle Fester..lol)

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I'm keeping anything you can't get with a simple phone call to the local parts house. For example, any of the emissions parts like A.I.R. injection plumbing, it's exhaust manifolds, original ac parts and so on. Anything that ends up getting upgraded will more likely be saved in a box somewhere.

I've not gotten completely over my hording instinct, but I have gotten marginally better over time.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Water pumps and alternators just chuck those. Power steering pump is about all I would save like that. Manifolds really aren't very good and probably close to splitting in half. Unless it's got ramhorns.

Save brackets and linkages. Electrical connectors. Distributors can be used for oil pump priming tools. If I have an old part that needed replaced but wasn't dead yet I usually keep it around for a while until the new part proves itself.

Everything else, but big stuff like steering box tcase and trans, aren't worth it. Like switches and electrical components, only people that want smog stuff live in states with emissions. Or the 1% that want all original.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I keep stuff that is not broken or repair/rebuildable. It's way harder, time consuming and more expensive to get parts in Europe. I sell parts to car/ truck owner who want or have to keep their rides original. Very often a repaired old part is way better than the aftermarket stuff from Asia.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Good parts (or at least good cores/rebuildable parts) I save and put on the shelf or take to the swap meet. Water pumpers/alternators get trashed but manifolds, gas tanks, wheels/tires, trim, seats, etc all go on the shelf or sold at the swap meet for more fun money

JD Miller

Reaction score
First Name
JD
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 silverado
Engine Size
I keep everything

'cept when I moved to a to a another state , I trashed most everything in my junk yard collection. I wish I would have kept alot of stuff, but cost of moving it seamed like a bad idea, $$$$

The goobers in my new rural area, put their old worn out parts like old brake pads, worn out tires, and other trash on facespook marketplace with a price higher that a new part. :insane::Insane::jawdrop::party33::Stupid Me:

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Damn. All y'all trash the alternators? I keep all those suckers. Not only can they be rebuilt (by yourself, or by a local shop) but they are also great for swapping parts around to get what you need. Pulleys, fans, bearings, case halves, etc.

Especially the cs130 alternators. With the right spare parts, you can make one work in basically any application.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Depends how much room and stomach you have for old parts laying around imo. Everyone has a different plan, outlook, situation.
For example, @bucket has like 17 cars, half of them squarebody and has a farm/barns/outbuildings and it’s his “thing” to have an array of cool old Chevys. He has the potential to use an old rusty intake manifold on any number of vehicles he currently owns or may own.
@TotalyHucked is 100% a truck guy, has tons of hours and dollars into his one truck and is in the industry of old car parts. “Go to the swap meet” is likely part of his routine. and he has a bunch of good stuff. Unlike me or you who would take our otherwise spoken for weekend to sit at a swap meet with 17 old greasy indiscernible parts for sale.
I keep more than I should and throw away more than some.
If I can reasonably get more than $100 for it, I try to sell it.
If there’s a great chance I may need it, I keep it.
If it’s simply an old part that has been replaced, generally it goes in the trash.

dhartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
scraped it all... more money to put in her... lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Damn. All y'all trash the alternators? I keep all those suckers. Not only can they be rebuilt (by yourself, or by a local shop) but they are also great for swapping parts around to get what you need. Pulleys, fans, bearings, case halves, etc.

Especially the cs130 alternators. With the right spare parts, you can make one work in basically any application.
THIS makes sense. Shcitty reman alternators and starters are a real thing. Given the opportunity I’d have an original starter or alt rebuilt.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
It goes in a pile in the yard until I either need it again for something else, recycle it, or somebody else needs something.

Currently my back yard is a dump of all things vehicular and needs some serious cleaning and sorting.
There are lots of things that just need to be sorted and recycled back there, but I always seem to have something else to be doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
banshee1222