Whatcha do with that...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey,
Whatcha guys do with the old parts ya take off your project?
I mean, the old manifolds, water pumps, alt. and the likes..?
Is there really much call for the old parts?

Thanks.

hey mister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I keep most of it just in case
I thought about that and it is what promped me to ask.
Because one side thinks, "you bought the part you replaced and if that goes bad would you bolt the old part back on, or get a new replacement?"
I'd get a new replacement, of course.
Now the other side thinks, "Yea, but what if a potential buyer wants the old original parts that I replaced?"
(Not my problem...lol)

I dunno. I'm torn, but I really don't want to try and store the old parts in some corner of the barn.
I'm trying to de-clutter a bit now.

I think I may have collector-itis. It's a serious pain in everyone elses a$$ who has to clean up all your junk after ya croak.

Honestly, it's my belly button lint collection I'm most fond of. But I know my 15 lb ear wax ball will cause the biggest fight. That and the kitty whisker collection.

(all I could picture in my mind was Gomez Aadams or Uncle Fester..lol)

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I'm keeping anything you can't get with a simple phone call to the local parts house. For example, any of the emissions parts like A.I.R. injection plumbing, it's exhaust manifolds, original ac parts and so on. Anything that ends up getting upgraded will more likely be saved in a box somewhere.

I've not gotten completely over my hording instinct, but I have gotten marginally better over time.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Water pumps and alternators just chuck those. Power steering pump is about all I would save like that. Manifolds really aren't very good and probably close to splitting in half. Unless it's got ramhorns.

Save brackets and linkages. Electrical connectors. Distributors can be used for oil pump priming tools. If I have an old part that needed replaced but wasn't dead yet I usually keep it around for a while until the new part proves itself.

Everything else, but big stuff like steering box tcase and trans, aren't worth it. Like switches and electrical components, only people that want smog stuff live in states with emissions. Or the 1% that want all original.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I keep stuff that is not broken or repair/rebuildable. It's way harder, time consuming and more expensive to get parts in Europe. I sell parts to car/ truck owner who want or have to keep their rides original. Very often a repaired old part is way better than the aftermarket stuff from Asia.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcourt