Truck Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
That's a mid 80's Monte Carlo LS factory aluminum wheel. I've always liked them. I have a set of them.... that I'll, uh..... use on something one day. Lol.
Yup! You are correct sir! Mom had an '81 MC with the factory styled steel wheels, bought brand new the day they came out. Dad and I saw the checkerboard alloys in the brochure and decided we wanted a set, and finally found a used set years later. We sold the Monte Carlo years ago, and I don't have anything with the 5/4.75 GM lug pattern....so I've wagged them to a few swap meets. I don't think they were a very common option; never seen very many cars with them. I believe they're 14x6, gotta look at them to be sure.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yup! You are correct sir! Mom had an '81 MC with the factory styled steel wheels, bought brand new the day they came out. Dad and I saw the checkerboard alloys in the brochure and decided we wanted a set, and finally found a used set years later. We sold the Monte Carlo years ago, and I don't have anything with the 5/4.75 GM lug pattern....so I've wagged them to a few swap meets. I don't think they were a very common option; never seen very many cars with them. I believe they're 14x6, gotta look at them to be sure.
And yes that is a square body Burb rear bumper, parallel to the fender. I have two, this one has the brackets and license plate holder. Nice used condition, has very minor dents.
The steel wheels with green paint on them are Mopar Rallyes, sold those at that show. The big alloy wheels are the Shelby slot mags, 8 lug 16.5s.
I'm thinking about going to the new swap meet in Waco, Texas, the first weekend of October this year, and I should be at the Houston Autorama on Thanksgiving weekend, in downtown Houston at the convention center.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I haven't seen one of those Monte Carlo checker wheels in decades!
Never were common in my recollection. The two with tires were laying in the yard for a few years, I'd kinda forgot about having them. Last few years I've been trying to gather up parts for swap meets....

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Height of new trucks is really what makes em so much bigger. As said.

My crew cab long bed is a big n wide bitch but it just doesn't sit nearly as high.

Last edited:

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Here's dad's ole '79 & my '16. The cab height & length are very different. '16 is just a few inches longer overall though.
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Never were common in my recollection. The two with tires were laying in the yard for a few years, I'd kinda forgot about having them. Last few years I've been trying to gather up parts for swap meets....

They were not common around here either, but I did see them from time to time. Glad I got them when I did, because I don't remember seeing any since. It's been 20 years or so.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You must’ve gotten a defective rental. I’ve experienced none of that in 4 or 5 new 1/2 ton Silverados, 6,8 or 10 speed. 5.3 or Dmax.
My 2019 Silverado had a 5.3 and a 6-speed. It was often slow to choose a gear. There was a place along my morning drive where it always happened at the end of a straight with a decent left hand curve at the base of an incline. It took some time for it to choose the right gear. On twisty canyon roads it got confused and took too long to shift. I would use ‘manual’ in those situations and just keep it in a specific gear.

The displacement on demand was also not the greatest, but not a huge deal either. One of the main reasons I got rid of it from a mechanical standpoint, is direct injection. At the time, my wife also had a 2017 Honda fit that we’d had since new. It had many issues that had to be handled under warranty related to direct injection. They needed to media blast the intake valves and replace all four injectors before we sold it at 60,000 or so miles.

The more I researched DI, the less I wanted to keep the truck. Given the timing, I was able to sell it with 25,000 miles for more than I paid for it new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy