Rear brake bleeding struggles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
You have a k20? 1974 would be a full float 14 bolt. 12/10 bolts came in half tons.

Inboard rotors/drums are not as convenient as if they were outboard, but not really a big deal overall.

Buy the correct socket for the axle/spindle nuts.

If drum needs to be removed to be changed or turned, it will require pounding all the lug studs out and reinstalling them (personally I’d replace them).

Technically, on a drum brake full floater, you don’t even have to take the wheel off to pull the hub/drum, if you were only needing to change a wheel cylinder and no work needed on drum itself. Pull axle shaft (make sure you have enough room to slide the shaft out), spindle nut(s) off and slide assembly off.

Not something most do on smaller trucks, but class 8 and medium duty’s that pretty normal to pull the hub, drum, wheels as an assembly.

Other than that they are not really any different than any other self adjusting drum brake setup.

Also, I’d replace the rubber soft lines, if they have not been replaced in your ownership or a known date of if/when they were replaced. One of those fairly cheap parts that get overlooked and can cause plenty of headaches.

Don't you have to remove something from inside the center section to enable the axle shaft to slide out???

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
All fluid for rear brakes comes down 1 line,through 1 hose to a tee which branches left and right if you have fluid to 1 rear the problem is after the tee at the rearend.So,the steel line,or the wheel cylinder.

Last edited:

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Edit already covered. Should have read more posts
Yes it was covered but you made me think of another question. Where is this light? I didn't notice anything and it's possible the bulb may even be out but that would be really helpful to know.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Don't you have to remove something from inside the center section to enable the axle shaft to slide out???
No, not on a full floater. Remove the bolts on the axle flange, have a drain pan ready, slide axle out.
(Dana 70u)
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Semi floater C clip type axles yes, like 14b SF, 10,12 bolts, the cross pin must be removed from the carrier to push axle in to remove c clips to remove axles. But all of those are outboard rotors/drums so no need to pull the axle to pull a drum/rotor.

Semi float axles can also be non c clip type, like the Ford 9", Mopar 8.75, and some others.

14b SF axles, if you note on the end there is a groove for the C clip
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Yes it was covered but you made me think of another question. Where is this light? I didn't notice anything and it's possible the bulb may even be out but that would be really helpful to know.
I put up relevant info on post 18 after my edit. As for the light put on the emergency brake a light should come on in the dash,same light,same bulb.So that would be an easy first check.

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If and when you go back together with the hub....DO NOT drag the seal over the threads on the housing........you will be taking it back apart to fix the differential oil leak that's ruining your new parts inside the drum!!!
New fear unlocked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tat27