R12 Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah, I have been looking on Ebay. I have come to the conclusion I will find out how much it costs to do a conversion and weigh that against buying some cans of R12 to recharge the system AFTER it is leak tested. I am sure it will be cheaper than a conversion, and I KNOW it is cheaper than a new system from someplace like Vintage Air.
If your system leaks, it has moisture in it. Moisture causes death in r12 systems, so even if you found more r12 the best way to handle this is to recover the r12, fix the leak, and redo. But any R12 you find is either going to be $$$$ or counterfeit or misleading other product.

Just go to R512a, more flammable than r1234yf (barely, but it is. but less than hydrocarbons like propane), but runs much lower pressures than R1234yf and isnt corrosive and doesnt have harm to the environment if lost or vented, and even tho honeywell no longer has the patent rights to it.. its gonna take a while to get affordable.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Alternative refrigerants can be made to work effectively, but now you have a system that nobody else can work on. You are forever your own A/C repair guy because local commercial stores and shops will only have R134, or maybe a machine that works with R12.

Just think of how much fun you have had when trying to fix or tweak someone else's undocumented mechanical solution or repair to a truck you purchased. Unicorn systems are a PIA, so I prefer standard solutions.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Alternative refrigerants can be made to work effectively, but now you have a system that nobody else can work on. You are forever your own A/C repair guy because local commercial stores and shops will only have R134, or maybe a machine that works with R12.

Just think of how much fun you have had when trying to fix or tweak someone else's undocumented mechanical solution or repair to a truck you purchased. Unicorn systems are a PIA, so I prefer standard solutions.
true
I know i threw out r512, but i would personally just make the switch to r134a because its still available and plenty of switches/guides/tsb/retrofitting parts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcsimon