R12 to 134. Whats really needed to do this swap for a great working system. All parts needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
It certainly can be that easy. Again, if the system is plenty good with R12, it ought to be fine just swapping to 134 with compatible materials etc. You will lose maybe 10-20% due to the refrigerant characteristics, but in a single cab it should be fine.

But I can tell you my Monte Carlo was mostly enough with stock R12, but it needed to run on Hi/MAX at anything over 95° outside, and as long as you drove long enough at high enough speed, it would keep it cool enough to be comfortable. Window tint helped, since I was never able to park in the shade consistently. That was west Texas where 110° was normal, but there is very little humidity. When I switched to 134 on a straight swap, it just wasn't cutting it, especially at idle or stop/go traffic. Adjusting the pressure switch helped so that I got cold vent temps, the condenser was the tube/fin type, and I did not change the orifice. Adding an electric fan made it where my wife was willing to ride in it, but still not "good" in the really hot times.

I abandoned the AC in that one with the engine swap, but if/when it gets a redo, you can bet that I will upgrade the condenser, switch the orifice tube, dial in the low pressure switch, and run electric fans (already do, but I'll keep them for sure) if I want it comfortable. The Suburban will get a similar treatment, microchannel condenser, blue or even red orifice tube, and dial in the low pressure. I plan to keep using the Suburban as a vacation vehicle down near Galveston, and I'm sure you are well aware that Houston area puts a certain extra load on a vehicle's AC...

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For those of you in the storm, I hope all is well. We took a good hit and still out of power. Lots of damage. Hope all is well. SUPER SCARY SH&T.

I hope you have power back by now... We've been relatively lucky being out on the west side.

Thanks for the thread! I've been meaning to see what it would take to put the A/C back in the Ol' Girl. Figured a minimum of new hoses, rebuild the compressor, and flush the system, but wasn't sure what else I might need.

91burb2500

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R2500
Engine Size
The parallel condenser was the missing piece on my Suburban, it kicks ass now. Pretty much sucked before once the temps got into the upper 80s/90s with 80% humidity of south Florida. I did do the Sanden compressor as well, but the R4 would’ve worked just as well I imagine with the new condenser. I was just over the lack of reliability even from AC Delco ones and the power loss that was noticeable.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The parallel condenser was the missing piece on my Suburban, it kicks ass now. Pretty much sucked before once the temps got into the upper 80s/90s with 80% humidity of south Florida. I did do the Sanden compressor as well, but the R4 would’ve worked just as well I imagine with the new condenser. I was just over the lack of reliability even from AC Delco ones and the power loss that was noticeable.

That's very true. Getting a good R4 in the last 10-15 years is about impossible. And you definitely feel them kick on and off if you have a stock or very mild engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zcostilla