Np208 transfer case brace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherry Strickland

Reaction score
First Name
Sherry
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K10
Engine Size
Help Guys,
Where can I find the NP208 brace? I am having no luck finding one online.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Help Guys,
You'll have to find one, either on a parts truck/junkyard, or from a member here. Or eBay or your local buy and sell website. Maybe even possibly fabricate one.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
6.2L
Help Guys,

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout~! HALP~! My M1008 came without that NP208 to bell housing rod-brace too. Am seeing lots of similar braces on Ebay but sellers don't know the application: NP205 or 208.

If anyone could post a pic of either brace-rod for the purposes of identifying the differences that would be a Godsend!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout~! HALP~! My M1008 came without that NP208 to bell housing rod-brace too. Am seeing lots of similar braces on Ebay but sellers don't know the application: NP205 or 208.

If anyone could post a pic of either brace-rod for the purposes of identifying the differences that would be a Godsend!
It's not really about NP205 or NP208. It will be a different length based on that and also what trans/adapter you have. It is a different overall length for a TH400/round pattern than it is for a TH400/Figure 8 and also different for a 700R4/round pattern. You just need to measure straight from the first hole on the 208 to the bell housing bolt and then find one that length.. or just make one. It's just round bar that has been flattened on both ends and then bent to line up with the two holes on the transfer case and the bellhousing bolt. I would just get a piece of 1/2 or 3/4" tube and flatten/drill one end to go over the bellhousing, then get a small piece of 3/8" plate steel and fab it up to fit the T-case. Then cut the rod to length and weld it to the plate... done.

Dave Kay

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
6.2L
It's not really about NP205 or NP208. It will be a different length based on that and also what trans/adapter you have. It is a different overall length for a TH400/round pattern than it is for a TH400/Figure 8 and also different for a 700R4/round pattern. You just need to measure straight from the first hole on the 208 to the bell housing bolt and then find one that length.. or just make one. It's just round bar that has been flattened on both ends and then bent to line up with the two holes on the transfer case and the bellhousing bolt. I would just get a piece of 1/2 or 3/4" tube and flatten/drill one end to go over the bellhousing, then get a small piece of 3/8" plate steel and fab it up to fit the T-case. Then cut the rod to length and weld it to the plate... done.
Thanks, I will measure that overall length on my M1008. NOTE: my truck is bone stock w/TH400 that came with 1986 CUCVs. Am not aware of which adapter pattern the truck has: TH400/round vs figure 8. How can I make that determination?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks. That would be greatly appreciated.
Well Dave, sorry, but I’m not going to be able to help you. The spare rod I have is too short, not to mention that my CUCV is also missing one! Hopefully I haven’t done any damage yet, since I use mine as a bulldozer, oops, I mean snowplow. Here’s a pic of the rod I have, it’s about 3” short, if I figured right.
You must be registered for see images attach

My old plow truck had a 400/400 in it, and I broke the bell housing on it because the brace rods were missing. I guess it’s a good thing the 6.2 is so gutless, because I’ve worked it pretty hard. Guess I need to start looking for that rod for my truck.

I do have a spare 4 wheel drive inspection cover and possibly the rods and front mounts if you need them.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I think the bracing has a lot more to do with the up and down of the chassis than the torque the powerplant applies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74