New guy here. Wreched a bit and glad to have been accepted.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calmtspot

Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
'85 C20 w/QUAD headlights. On highbeam, the old and new headlight switch has/will set internal breaker?, after 10 or so mins. All headlights will go out. Switch to low beams and the low beams will work. After a bit(switch cools) wash, rinse, repeat. 10.1.0 (yellow) at headlight switch to dimmer gets hot in high beam setting. Checked ALL grounds at core support and frame. Bus bar inside as well and ALL are grounded. Is the halogens just to much for the circuit? I believe a relayed circuit added to just high beams will work but want to correct properly if possible. Anyone else experienced this?Again, thanks for the add!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240923_204008_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240923_204008_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 3

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
'85 C20 w/QUAD headlights. On highbeam, the old and new headlight switch has/will set internal breaker?, after 10 or so mins. All headlights will go out. Switch to low beams and the low beams will work. After a bit(switch cools) wash, rinse, repeat. 10.1.0 (yellow) at headlight switch to dimmer gets hot in high beam setting. Checked ALL grounds at core support and frame. Bus bar inside as well and ALL are grounded. Is the halogens just to much for the circuit? I believe a relayed circuit added to just high beams will work but want to correct properly if possible. Anyone else experienced this?Again, thanks for the add!
Back probe each headlight ground at the headlight. Headlights on,meter set on volts 1 lead back probe headlight ground other lead on battery negative. Are you reading more than 1/4 volt on the meter? If so you have a ground problem,may not be the only problem but a problem. Do the same thing on the headlight positives and use battery positive post,again same thing are you reading more than 1/4 volt if you are you have a power problem also. Check headlight positive to battery negative,you should read real close to battery voltage,check battery voltage with meter compare readings. Post back

Last edited:

calmtspot

Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
My suspicion is junction block connection. It possibly could be just because of age. When purchased, it had a dented L/F quarter panel. Loom is old but harness showed no signs of damage or repair. I understand your theory of possible resistance. Electrical is not my forte but not weak at it. Thanks and I will reply.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350

Forum statistics