Mileage question/opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys. I recently started wondering if the mileage (52,400 when I took possession on 6/18) was correct or should it have a 1 in front of it. As a fleet truck for the company I was employed with for 27 years, it has had multiple drivers for 21 years before it was parked for lack of interest (old truck and the radio didn't work).
I have been indirectly associated with this C10 since '92, when I joined the firm. I know that the drive train is original and nothing has been replaced or any major repairs made. The truck was gifted to me at the end of 2018 when I retired and this is what I know: the LE9 with R4 and 2.73 gears runs and accelerates very well and feels like it has ample power. It does not smoke and the oil pressure is 32psi at a warm idle. The temperature never rises above 195º and average cylinder compression is 184psi with no. 1 at 175 (only low one). The speedometer has always worked and it has always had P225/75 R15 tires. Take a look at the picture and let me know your opinion. It looks pretty worn to me and that's what got me wondering. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 51

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Of course the picture I was referring to was the one of the brake pedal. It took me 2-1/2 years and lot of $ to get it looking the way is does parked next to the company sign. The picture in my personal description, was taken about 1986 and is the same truck. Notice the tool box and two way radio antenna on top of the cab.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for your comment, you are the only one who replied to my question which was posted a long time ago. I tend to agree with you except for the fact that I have been connected with this truck since ‘92. It’s a long story that I recently posted in a thread about the front bumper position. I know that the truck was parked in 2005 and never moved until 2018 when I took possession. It never made very many long trips and was used by the construction company that originally purchased it, to check on local jobs, pick up parts and run miscellaneous errands. The truck has the original engine and has never had any internal work done. It doesn’t smoke, has good compression and runs great. I have put 10k miles on it since the restoration was complete in late 2020 and thoroughly enjoy driving it.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
First off This is a sweet truck! Congrats on your retirement. Was it mainly used for the office? It's in really good shape like not all banged up and I know you said you did allot to get it this clean but it's original paint right? probably driven in town. How does the engine feel, is it strong? Oil usage? Smoke ever?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Based on your description of the usage and the engine and drive train it sounds like it is the correct mileage. Brake pad wear, as stated, is a variable.

Either way, enjoy ! :)

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks for your comment, you are the only one who replied to my question which was posted a long time ago. I tend to agree with you except for the fact that I have been connected with this truck since ‘92. It’s a long story that I recently posted in a thread about the front bumper position. I know that the truck was parked in 2005 and never moved until 2018 when I took possession. It never made very many long trips and was used by the construction company that originally purchased it, to check on local jobs, pick up parts and run miscellaneous errands. The truck has the original engine and has never had any internal work done. It doesn’t smoke, has good compression and runs great. I have put 10k miles on it since the restoration was complete in late 2020 and thoroughly enjoy driving it.
You’re welcome. It very well could be that low mileage of a truck, especially if it was used for what you describe. The brake pedal could be worn that much in 62k, as everything else seems to indicate a low mileage truck. Mine smoked terribly at 110k, but it had a hard life too.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
I’d say there’s a 50/50 chance of either 50k or 150k. And since you actually have some knowledge of the trucks past life and we don’t, whatever you think is probably more accurate than what we think.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You can read more about it in the similar threads below, about bumper position. After sitting outside for thirteen years, on the dirt and facing due west, the sun, humidity and rain did their work on it in the usual places, cab corners, sills and floors. Bed and tailgate were in good condition with only one dent in the wheel well. No major damage to the doors or body panels. My body guy went way over board and removed the body. The frame was sand blasted and painted and the body parts were stripped to bare metal, imperfections repaired and painted with original color scheme. I have over 300 pictures documenting the process. Yes, it cost a ton of worthless paper but the result is beyond comprehension. I quit counting the complements a long time ago. The teenager boys and girls at the fast food joints, love seeing it and tell me so. That’s one of the reasons why I drive it so much.
I’ve hauled 3 or 4 loads of mulch in it, along with a couple pallets of grass, and the 305 with 700r4 and 2.73 gears seem to have no problem. It hasn’t smoked ever since I replaced the valve stem seals. I love this truck and am constantly amazed at how well it runs. I did remove most of the emissions stuff and it took a lot of reading and help from the great folks on this site, but I finally found its “sweet spot.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybamatrx