Leaking transmission pan plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Picture of the pan and the plug with the attached rubber grommet.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Dorman used to make an oversized and double oversize drain plug, besides the standard size. IIRC it was a 1/2" SAE threads at standard, that was a common oil pan drain plug back in the 60s/70s....
Dorman parts didn't always have the fitment and quality issues they have lately. The brand used to be quality American made parts and automotive hardware. Used to be, any good parts store had the orange drawers under the counter, that had all sorts of problem solvers. BTW those drawers have a certain smell to them too!
After my time with dorman parts as someone who is only 25(26 in august), its definitely hit or miss. And as long as you are able to read or tell their parts, you can avoid getting burned at least in person. if buying online, forums are the best way to find out. There are some decent parts out there they make, but finding them among the crap is.. well.. annoying.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
After my time with dorman parts as someone who is only 25(26 in august), its definitely hit or miss. And as long as you are able to read or tell their parts, you can avoid getting burned at least in person. if buying online, forums are the best way to find out. There are some decent parts out there they make, but finding them among the crap is.. well.. annoying.
Well, I've got 30+ years on you...and I spent a lot of time with my folks in our parts store in the 70s and 80s when we had it. One of my jobs was keeping the dorman drawers organized and reordering when necessary.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Picture of the pan and the plug with the attached rubber grommet.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hopefully that fixes it for you. I’ve been straightening out warped OE pans, out of fear of getting an out of spec aftermarket pan. If yours holds up after this I might get my faith in after market pans restored a little.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hopefully that fixes it for you. I’ve been straightening out warped OE pans, out of fear of getting an out of spec aftermarket pan. If yours holds up after this I might get my faith in after market pans restored a little.
It’s holding fine so far, took it for a drive yesterday, after putting a couple quarts in to see if it would leak overnight. Holding good, just made sure not to overtighten.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It’s holding fine so far, took it for a drive yesterday, after putting a couple quarts in to see if it would leak overnight. Holding good, just made sure not to overtighten.
after some heat cycles it may need tightening but hopefully not

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84K30dually