High Oil Pressure and Leaking After Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've got an issue that has me stumped. I have a 1977 K10 that has a 350 Goodwrench crate motor installed by a previous owner so mileage is unknown. It's my daily driver and runs great. It has had a rear main seal weep for a while, but nothing more than a few drops overnight so I've put off changing it. I've been driving it every day for over a year and the oil pressure has consistently been about 20 PSI at idle and 30 PSI at highway speed and it hasn't used oil at all.

Recently I changed the oil and filter. 10w-30 oil and PF 35 oil filter. Immediately after the change I noticed the oil pressure was 30 PSI at idle and 45-50 PSI at highway speed. After sitting overnight there was a small puddle of oil under the truck, not a ton, but enough to concern me. The oil filter was tight and the drain plug was not leaking. It appeared the oil was leaking out of the flywheel shield as it would with a rear main seal problem.

I drove it a few days, probably about 100 miles and the higher than normal pressure and the leaking continued. I checked the oil and it was down about a quart. Since the only thing I had done was the oil change I suspected maybe an issue with the filter. I changed the oil and the oil filter again and the exact same condition continues. Higher than normal pressure and a fairly nasty oil leak out the hole in the bottom of the flywheel shield.

The engine runs great, isn't burning any oil or misbehaving at all. I'll be changing the rear main seal this weekend, but the high oil pressure indication has me worried that something else is going on.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or any advice on what else to look at? Maybe it was just coincidence, but it seems to have been caused by the oil and filter change and that makes absolutely no sense to me.

mjck5

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
1986 k5 blazer
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
this may sound ridiculous but check your dip stick, i had a similar problem and it turned out when the motor was rebuilt the tube for the dip stick was just shoved in the hole and not driven in all the way, i was told it was a higher capacity oil pan so i didnt really think about the fact it would take 5 to 5 1/2 quarts instead of 4, i had the same issue high oil pressure and oil leaking from weird spots, was told the high oil pressure was from a high volume oil pump, i figured it out more or less by accident, the tube for the dip stick was allways loose and would spin around i finally got sick of it and tried giving it a gentle tap to see if it would snug up, turns out it needed to be driven in about 3/4 to an inch, once that was done i realized ive been over filling the oil by about a quart and a half, once i had the oil level correct my oil pressure went down to normal and it quit leaking due to the reduced pressure in the block.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
If it were me, I would remove the air cleaner and look real good at the distributor. It is meant to have a gasket underneath it.
ADDITIONALLY, I would put some bamboo shoots under the fingernails of the oil pressure warning light thingy and find out W.T.F. his problem is. If it gives ya any sh*t? Whack it with a hammer.

:grd:

Jimmyperf400

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Full size gmc jimmy
Engine Size
Sbc 400
If you have had perfect oil pressure up till you changed the oil. You have a bad oil filter. Its causing the oil pump to pump harder causing the pressure to go up which i turn is causing a bigger leak change it. I know you put an AC DELCO on it but ive had issues in the past. Put a k&n oil filter on it i know it cost more but it will fix you problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gbashby