Burning hei coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Have you checked charging voltage . Put a volt meter on it spin it up see if you are over charging. Also check for A C voltage indicating a bad diode.

Bronze Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Isn't there a thing where if the Tach signal wire gets grounded it'll burn the coil out? May be worth checking the whole run of the Tach signal wire, or at least both ends.

Toad455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi guys new to the group, I’m having a problem with hei coils burning up after upping my cr with smaller chamber heads (not saying that’s the cause it just started giving me this issue after the head swap) I’m not sure what the issue is I’m kind of stumped any help would be great not sure if I may need to add more grounds or what.

I accidentally left this ground strap off once on a Firebird years ago and got the same coil burning problem, didn't take long. I'll try to attach pics. One end of this ground strap goes down and becomes one of the three tabs that the wire connector plugs into. As I remember this strap goes Under the coil, (you can barely see the strap on pic at far right). Pic in the center shows a wire instead of the ground strap, I personally haven't seen one like this but looks like two designs to achieve the same thing.

Attachments

• HEI Ground Strap.jpg
    HEI Ground Strap.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 27
  • HEI Wire.jpg
    HEI Wire.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 25
  • HEI GROUND STRAP 3.jpg
    HEI GROUND STRAP 3.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Did you check the available voltage at the power coming into the HEI coil?

If you have a dropping resistor or the factory resistive primary wire in the circuit, the coil can die while it's sucking wind (low voltage) by pulling higher amps --- and that'll burn out the HEI coil quickly!

Amps generate heat. Higher than normal Amps generated higher than normal heat.

I ran a dyno shop and found this problem a lot!

I also learned to hate Champion plugs 'cause, after a run on the dyno, the Champions were drawing 18KV at idle; if you snapped the throttle, the KVs went 'away above the coil's max output.

DQUK

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Like a few other guys have commented, check your engine earths. Had a similar issue on a 65 Nova I had. Swapped engine plates to poly bushes and after 50 or so miles car started to back fire then cut out and wouldn’t start again. Ran a brand new earth strap across front of engine attached to both heads and block then to chassis and issue sorted. Must of gone through about 4 coils beforehand though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually