BFG KO3 vs Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Well, there is snow, then there is snow,lol. For 95% of the people, snow is the packed or mostly not deep crap on a roadway. The best tires are very soft, usually heavily siped. The harder the tire, the longer it "wears"/lasts, the worse it is for these conditions. Actually these newer tires are great for many. Then there is people like me, where,coming home from work, I may have to go through 8-12" of snow, on top of a packed snow dirt road, uphill. Had several go rounds recently with 3 tire shops,lol, as they try to sell you what they are told is "the greatest". Now I don't care about not the "best" traction on a packed road or ice, been driving a long time, I slow down. I run deep lug M&S tires, studded, on my winter "truck", which happens to be a modified Astro van. I generally don't take long trips with this combination, as tires are very expensive.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You must be registered for see images attach

There are so many different types of snow and then it changes with the temperatures. I run around with two different off road groups and see a lot of different tires and it is quite amazing.

I ran BFG KO2s for quite a while then switched to the BFG KM3. I had almost bought the cooper SST Pro- but I didn't. On the next trail ride a guy in A land rover was running the same size tire I was but he had the STT pros. We both aired down to 9 psi. I figured the vehicle weight was about the same and he was running lockers also. He got stuck 4 times that day. I had no issues at all.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350

There are so many different types of snow and then it changes with the temperatures. I run around with two different off road groups and see a lot of different tires and it is quite amazing.

I ran BFG KO2s for quite a while then switched to the BFG KM3. I had almost bought the cooper SST Pro- but I didn't. On the next trail ride a guy in A land rover was running the same size tire I was but he had the STT pros. We both aired down to 9 psi. I figured the vehicle weight was about the same and he was running lockers also. He got stuck 4 times that day. I had no issues at all.
How many hi way miles on your KM3s? Found a set of takeoff 37s for my diesel pickup.
With tires at $500 or more a pop and the 10% WA privilege tax, I’m inclined to get them, even though I’d rather have an all terrain.
But I’ve heard KM3s are soft compound (compared way to a Toyo MT) and they certainly have a bit more void space than a typical MT.
Wondering about tire wear, primarily. As it’s not just a winter rig, but snow traction is my primary need.
BFG specs, can’t seem to find treadwear ratings for them.

Course I’d also plan on siping them. But not askin about that. Lol

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I went with the Mickey Thompsons. I got a set of 5 305/70-18 for $2070 installed out the door. Not bad considering what they retail for nowadays.
I have the Falken Wildpeak AT in 305/75R17 and they are fantastic in both mud and snow. I have the Sumotomo equivalent in 33" on my 2011 Suburban and they have been fantastic as well. I had the BFG KO2's before that on my square and the Falkens are quieter and grippier in every condition I've had them in, including icy mountain offroading during hunting season last year.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, there is snow, then there is snow,lol. For 95% of the people, snow is the packed or mostly not deep crap on a roadway. The best tires are very soft, usually heavily siped. The harder the tire, the longer it "wears"/lasts, the worse it is for these conditions. Actually these newer tires are great for many. Then there is people like me, where,coming home from work, I may have to go through 8-12" of snow, on top of a packed snow dirt road, uphill. Had several go rounds recently with 3 tire shops,lol, as they try to sell you what they are told is "the greatest". Now I don't care about not the "best" traction on a packed road or ice, been driving a long time, I slow down. I run deep lug M&S tires, studded, on my winter "truck", which happens to be a modified Astro van. I generally don't take long trips with this combination, as tires are very expensive.

So how about a thread on the modified Astro van?

:)

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size

Almost looks like up my way--Bozeman Pass. But down to 9psi???? Snow ain't sand.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Ground clearance, foot print, and whether or not someone can drive all make a bigger difference than tires. I'd put the BFGs low in a large list of tires on snow, and pathetic on ice and packed snow. They're even terrible in the rain. I've had 2 different sets of BFG ATs over the years, one was pretty recent just cuz they came on my daily when I bought it, I don't understand why so many love those tires.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ground clearance, foot print, and whether or not someone can drive all make a bigger difference than tires. I'd put the BFGs low in a large list of tires on snow, and pathetic on ice and packed snow. They're even terrible in the rain. I've had 2 different sets of BFG ATs over the years, one was pretty recent just cuz they came on my daily when I bought it, I don't understand why so many love those tires.

Agreed, but I'm also an M/T type of tire guy myself. I know many people swear that an A/T type tire is better in snowy conditions, but for my driving style, I've had much better experience with more aggressive tires.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Agreed, but I'm also an M/T type of tire guy myself. I know many people swear that an A/T type tire is better in snowy conditions, but for my driving style, I've had much better experience with more aggressive tires.
If ya siped them mudders they’d surprise you how good they are in greasy and/or packed snow as well.
To your previous point I could envision tread squirm on soft compound tires that have a good amount of factory siping. Might be a bit overkill for high speed dry pavement.
But it makes the most difference on sold block tread tires (for obvious reasons) and you maintain the open tread large void space as well for deep snow traction.
Throw a set of studs in them too and studded siped mud tires are the trifecta of chitty weather conditions traction.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If ya siped them mudders they’d surprise you how good they are in greasy and/or packed snow as well.
To your previous point I could envision tread squirm on soft compound tires that have a good amount of factory siping. Might be a bit overkill for high speed dry pavement.
But it makes the most difference on sold block tread tires (for obvious reasons) and you maintain the open tread large void space as well for deep snow traction.
Throw a set of studs in them too and studded siped mud tires are the trifecta of chitty weather conditions traction.

Yep, I've had some that are siped too and it definitely does make a difference. The best truck tires I've ever had in the snow was a set of off-brand "Widetrac" M/T's, and they weren't even siped. I've always wondered what siping them would do for them, but I'll never find out since they have been out of production for a good long while now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78crustdumdlux