Best way to transport 19 55 gallon barrels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Forgot to update. I had an OK trip, but I am really lucky because the rust on my gmt800 factory hitch was fatal and i just made it home before it failed completely. The thing about it is that the chain hooks are attached to the same point, it would have been a runaway trailer!

Im not too worried, but i am bummed. Im just glad it happened with the least dangerous/nothing to lose load possible, and it wasnt stressed on the road because of weight. The bumper I knew was getting bad, it was squishy to step on, but the trailer hitch was hidden just behind it

I am going to replace the bumper and the hitch, curt and others make solid square tubing aftermarket ones, the oem one is defintiely a weight reduction type situation but if i found a good one from gmt800-900 i could use it. I also could use a gmt800-900 bumper Im pretty sure.
when I do that, Im gonna do the rear cross member which is large but its sold new and its the spare tire crossmember AND it contains the driver side shock-mount
TO do so requires lifting the bed up, but thats a good time to stop rust on the frame and the springs and axle, gonna shoot for next summer to do this

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350

Forgot to update. I had an OK trip, but I am really lucky because the rust on my gmt800 factory hitch was fatal and i just made it home before it failed completely. The thing about it is that the chain hooks are attached to the same point, it would have been a runaway trailer!

Im not too worried, but i am bummed. Im just glad it happened with the least dangerous/nothing to lose load possible, and it wasnt stressed on the road because of weight. The bumper I knew was getting bad, it was squishy to step on, but the trailer hitch was hidden just behind it

I am going to replace the bumper and the hitch, curt and others make solid square tubing aftermarket ones, the oem one is defintiely a weight reduction type situation but if i found a good one from gmt800-900 i could use it. I also could use a gmt800-900 bumper Im pretty sure.
when I do that, Im gonna do the rear cross member which is large but its sold new and its the spare tire crossmember AND it contains the driver side shock-mount
TO do so requires lifting the bed up, but thats a good time to stop rust on the frame and the springs and axle, gonna shoot for next summer to do this
Wow that brings back memories of my childhood, when on a quiet night, you could hear the cars rusting where they were parked!
Thank god more people don’t come out west to buy used cars, because it’s worth it! But there would be no used cars left for us locals here!

Thank god, from the other thread, you have liability insurance if you’re towing with Bluetooth structural components!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Wow that brings back memories of my childhood, when on a quiet night, you could hear the cars rusting where they were parked!
Thank god more people don’t come out west to buy used cars, because it’s worth it! But there would be no used cars left for us locals here!
it would be kinda wasteful to go bring one of those here
it would be murder ;(
Unlesss you kept up on it, Wintertime its truly not hard to keep vehicles clean here you jsut gotta use a car wash at least weekly

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
it would be kinda wasteful to go bring one of those here
it would be murder ;(
Unlesss you kept up on it, Wintertime its truly not hard to keep vehicles clean here you jsut gotta use a car wash at least weekly
You have waste oil, get a hudson sprayer and coat the undercarriage

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You have waste oil, get a hudson sprayer and coat the undercarriage
yes, ive been thinking of that. is that something youd want to cut it with anything or just straight out of the barrel?
also spraying on the rust thats there wouldnt be bad, right?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

FYI you are supposed to crisscross the safety chains trailer right side chain to vehicle left side and vice versa. 2 things going on there, if the hitch comes off the ball the trailer tongue will land in the X of the chains and when you turn the chains stay more equidistant to the truck.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Glad you made it to safety prior to the rust monster attacking. In my youth we cut waste oil with any solvent handy. Diesel, gas, kerosene, fuel oil, or whatever. If you can get it out of a nozzle to apply, you win. when fighting the rust monster.
Eric

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockopop