Anti theft digital guard dog fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban C20
Engine Size

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Howdy all!

I’m looking to put this on my suburban. Does anyone run this for anti theft?

I looked up the installation pdf for this. What it is/ what it does in reality is interrupt power to the ignition switch. No power to the ignition switch means no crank,no power to coil. It is actually just an electronic toggle switch. An expensive electronic toggle switch. It does have one thing going for it a toggle switch doesn't,it isn't as simple to figure out. But if they can't find your hidden toggle switch you save 143.00 dollars. I could actually do the same thing with a 10.00 dollar relay wired to the radio,if the radio is turned off the car won't start. My go to is an instant on alarm,no lights,stickers,warnings of any kind and interrupt fuel supply. Ignition too easy to bypass in my opinion. I can bypass your gaurd dawg in a minute,maybe less,if I can get the hood up.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
@Ricko1966 is correct. And afaik, there’s no “high tech” solution as these vehicles don’t have an ECM that can do the same as newer vehicles. That Guard dog is. Good simulation of that provided the thief can’t find it and swap a couple wires.
Same goes for any homemade system. They rely on creativity and hiding the “kill switch”.
We all have our own methods. And anything is better than nothing.
Additionally, if one thinks there’s any real risk of theft. IE gets driven and parked in urban areas, a good supplement to a kill switch of any sort is a gps device. Could be as simple as an AirTag.
Been thinking about something for the 77. Got the 86 figured out and it has a unique condition that a truck of that year would not have which helps with the stealth/confusion if it were hot wired and stolen, it wouldn’t get far if the switch is activated.
The Guard dog seems like a nice device for hands off approach if it and its wiring are “hidden.”

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I looked up the installation pdf for this. What it is/ what it does in reality is interrupt power to the ignition switch. No power to the ignition switch means no crank,no power to coil. It is actually just an electronic toggle switch. An expensive electronic toggle switch. It does have one thing going for it a toggle switch doesn't,it isn't as simple to figure out. But if they can't find your hidden toggle switch you save 143.00 dollars. I could actually do the same thing with a 10.00 dollar relay wired to the radio,if the radio is turned off the car won't start. My go to is an instant on alarm,no lights,stickers,warnings of any kind and interrupt fuel supply. Ignition too easy to bypass in my opinion. I can bypass your gaurd dawg in a minute,maybe less,if I can get the hood up.
and those type anti thefts actually can mess with a fuel injected or ccc trucks operation A LOT. Like, damage over time to the engine even

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
This a really off the wall idea. In response to @Grit dog idea of gps. When my cell phone got stolen, I was able to track it in real time over the internet,not by cell tower and use,but by actual GPS I was able to track to 10 feet or so of the guy that had it. Now I've got a new phone and my old phone( no service on it) keeps asking do I want it to be tracked by gps if it's lost. I wonder if you couldn't wire an old car charger in permanent and leave an old cell phone under the seat,taped on top of the glove box etc.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
This a really off the wall idea. In response to @Grit dog idea of gps. When my cell phone got stolen, I was able to track it in real time over the internet,not by cell tower and use,but by actual GPS I was able to track to 10 feet or so of the guy that had it. Now I've got a new phone and my old phone( no service on it) keeps asking do I want it to be tracked by gps if it's lost. I wonder if you couldn't wire an old car charger in permanent and leave an old cell phone under the seat,taped on top of the glove box etc.
I think I’ve heard of that being done before….internet, you know.

Another good idea for a mechanical pump truck. Put an electric fuel valve in the main line up under the truck to a hidden switch somewhere. Same concept. Thief thinks they’re off to the races then it dies 20-30 seconds later and won’t restart as soon as the carb runs out of fuel. It works, I’ve verified it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think I’ve heard of that being done before….internet, you know.
I like the uniqueness of what I did on the ‘86 that “shouldn’t” have an electric fuel pump. Hidden cutoff for that (dimmer foot switch under the carpet up in the corner). Truck will start and run with no fuel pump until it runs out of gas in the carb. Hopefully long enough for a thief to get it on the road and it dies on the street. Better chance of cops getting called too if it’s abandoned on the road.
That could be a good idea for a mechanical pump truck too. Put an electric fuel valve in the main line up under the truck to a hidden switch somewhere. Same concept. Thief thinks they’re off to the races then it dies 20-30 seconds later and won’t restart.
Yep we had these posts a long time ago with a link to an electric valve that shuts off fuel. And we just keep having the alarm,kill switch,conversations,over and over. Have a good one we'll discuss it again in 3 weeks. Did your kids friend ever get his smelly work boots back?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-22_155938.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-22_155938.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2024-09-22_155948.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-22_155948.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Yep we had these posts a long time ago with a link to an electric valve that shuts off fuel. And we just keep having the alarm,kill switch,conversations,over and over. Have a good one we'll discuss it again in 3 weeks. Did your kids friend ever get his smelly work boots back?
lol my memory is failing if I told a story about smelly work boots but it’s very plausible it happened!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spanky74