79 K15 - Universal steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atxb

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
5.7 350
Evening! I’m working with my dad and brother on fixing up his K15. Some time in the past, my brother tried rebuilding it, and it simply wasn’t put back together correctly, so knowing parts are missing, I’m just wanting to replace the whole thing. No salvage yards around here have had a replacement, so now I’m looking online. I struggle with the $800+ options because this isn’t a full on restoration. I see these universal ones, but I lack the knowledge to know what may be needed to make it work in this truck.

So when looking at something like the below, what do I need to consider as potential “modifications” to make this work?

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Fields Auto Salvage in Cedar Creek has a used one out of an 83 for $200. Their number is 512-247-4100.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can't vouch for the column in your link, but I'd be nervous about using it. But I could be wrong and maybe it's a great column, just seems really cheap.

What is it about your column that you don't think can be fixed? Almost all of these columns will need to be taken apart because the bolts in the columns get loose over time, probably that used one too. It's not a tough job, you'll need the inverted torx bit to tighten them. But you can do it without removing the steering column. If yours is tilt you need a special tool in addition to the inverted torx bit to remove the pivot pins. There are a lot of videos showing how to do it. Basically tear the column apart until you can access those inverted torx bolts, remove them one at a time, clean the threads up and put Locktite on them when you thread them back in. I've done quite a few of them. Non-tilt columns are easier but tilt columns aren't that much harder.

dd1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
have you looked at getting a column from a car, I took one out of a cadillac, got 3 way adjustable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malditorama