350 small block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boloboss

Reaction score
First Name
Shuntel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
v8 350 5.7 liz6er
What's up Chevy family????
My 84 Chevy C10 has a 350 small block with a Edelbrock carburetor. It used to crank right up when I turned the ignition and now I'm having to tap the gas a few times before it start and sometimes more than that. But then once it gets going I can turn the truck off, turn the ignition and it starts right up and it will continue to start up consistently.. But then I'll let truck sit for a while, and the same scenario happens again Why am I having this problem?

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Electric choke, electronic choke or manual choke? I don't know much about how to fix it but I bet this will be a factor in diagnosing it.

Electric choke is supposed to squirt gas in there when the ignition is turned on I think. Maybe that's not working.

I was going to get an Edelbrock AVS2 with electric choke so I'm interested in hearing what others think the problem might be.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Accelerator pump. Easy to replace. 1 pump cold starts again.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
For a carbureted engine, it sounds like it works as designed.

- on a cold engine the choke closes a flap in the carburetor to reduce (or choke) air flow and make the mixture richer. As the engine warms up, the choke slowly opens to allow more air, and finally opens completely.
Older engines used a choke with a thermostatic flap controlled by hot air, which eventually transitioned to using one controlled by electric power. A few chokes are also cable controlled, but they are not common on a squarebody.

- when you pump the accelerator pedal, the accelerator pump in the carburetor squirts additional fuel into the carburetor. This provides more fuel to get a cold engine to fire, or to provide more fuel when you quickly accelerate. The pump has a rubber seal in a small cylinder, which can tear, stick in the bore, or otherwise wear or malfunction.

Chokes are easy to adjust, and an accelerator pump is relatively easy adjust or replace (carburetor top has to come off to replace it).

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Above + linkage has adjustments. Accelerator pump is in the front right corner. To check operation, engine off, open choke plate, look down venturis and open throttle. Should produce a reasonably strong squirt of fuel.

Ethanol fuel is not your friend.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I think that all Edelbrock carburetors have this problem. they don't hold the gas in the bowl, overnight. It must evaporate or something. I am not sure if this happens with other types of carburetors. I usually have to crank it for a few seconds, then pump it about 10 times, then repeat a couple of times, until it starts. I have heard about people putting a back-flow preventing valve in the fuel line.
I am curious what others have to say about this.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
I now have 2 Edelbrocks and neither of which did I buy, install or adjust. I’d guess both are just running however they’re set out of the box.
The only “hard start” I get is warm engine, both act the same, at least 50% of the time, have to crank a couple seconds to get it to start. Whether no throttle, cracked throttle or even a pumping the throttle 1-2x first.
Not a carb expert. Sure they could be a bit better but they work 90% flawless imo.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
What and where is the accelerator pump? @Grit dog
What they said above. And do a little googling on replacing and adjusting. Not too difficult. But test first like said above. Open the throttle and pump it a couple times. If you don’t see a good primer squirt of gas come out the acc pump is likely the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moe H