3 on the tree to sm465 conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamesz

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You want to measure your bellhousing. Newer style is 6.29" trans flange to engine flange. For many years engines had a single engine mount in the front and used a mount on each side of the trans bell. This is how the many 6 cylinder engines were mounted. Your bell has those mounts.

As more V8s were installed the mounts were switched to 1 mount on the back of the trans and 2 mounts on each side of the engine. You can use that bell as long as the front to back measurement is correct, also the diameter of the rear hole needs match the trans. I think you need 5 1/8" hole.

Squares came with this style bellhousing:

You must be registered for see images attach

This will fit a 12" clutch.
Okay so I bought a clutch fork for a 77 thinking that it would fit but I guess these older style bell housings are not as wide. I bought the transmission, bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel off of a gentleman and he told me that they should fit. But now I'm faced with the problem of finding a clutch fork that will fit. I cannot get any clutch forks for the earlier style at any auto part stores in south west Missouri without a drive to Kansas City. Do y'all think it would be more beneficial to just get a different bell housing and use the clutch fork from the newer style or try and find an older style clutch fork?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Jamesz What year are the trans, bell and clutch parts from? Did you check the measurements I stated? If that early style is shorter front to back, you need the correct fork to match.

Jamesz

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
@Jamesz What year are the trans, bell and clutch parts from? Did you check the measurements I stated? If that early style is shorter front to back, you need the correct fork to match.
I am not too sure what year. I bought the sm465 off him because I was pretty sure they were all the same until the late 80's I think. He said he pulled the bell housing and shifter handle off another truck which I believe was a later 60's model. But the clutch was brand new its just been sitting for a couple years.

I measured roughly what you said and it came in at around 6 ¼ inches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hendu8603