3 on the tree

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trucknorris78

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
You don't use granny gear unless you're working the truck. Otherwise it's just a 3 speed, a strong 3 speed that will handle the engine, and would be minimal swapping since you already have the three pedals, etc.
I am looking at one now, actually. It is pre 1988 from a 4x2. Looks like 10 spline. Have to do some research about bell housing, yoke and clutch compatibility. I have an 11" clutch from the old one.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
This is mostly to see what opinions are out there. I am doing a frame up resto on a 78 GMC c15. I already have a 427 pushing 555hp. I want to keep the 3 on the tree because, I'm weird, I guess. Dearborn, M13 seems to be the only valid option. I do not yet know what rear gears I am going to run yet but, I am going to fab a 4-link rear. I am not racing the truck but, I am definitely going to play.
I'm going to pay for asking this but, what do you all think?
I think you need the Tremac. Yes, it is rare on a GM vehicle, but that's what my 73 C25 has, and is what was put in back of 454s that had a 3 speed. Rare, but they do exist. It is the torque, more than horsepower, that can break gears. Stay away from the little pencil sharpener size units that are in back of 6 cyl and 283.

J. B.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
You don't use granny gear unless you're working the truck. Otherwise it's just a 3 speed, a strong 3 speed that will handle the engine, and would be minimal swapping since you already have the three pedals, etc.
Powerglides are fine for small blocks and MILD big blocks that are not much more than 400 cubes, but I wouldn't put one in back of a souped big block.

J. B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually