3 on the tree to sm465 conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamesz

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Correct. Cut the opening so that there is still a 3/4" to 1" flange to attach the new trans hump. You can simply use self tappers, or drill larger holes in the base flange and use threaded j-clips, or install nutserts in the base flange for bolts to thread into. Having the removable cover is super handy too.
Gotcha! last night I ordered the cover from Auto Metal Direct so I will see when it gets here.

Jamesz

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Correct. Cut the opening so that there is still a 3/4" to 1" flange to attach the new trans hump. You can simply use self tappers, or drill larger holes in the base flange and use threaded j-clips, or install nutserts in the base flange for bolts to thread into. Having the removable cover is super handy too.
One more question. What size bolts do I need for the sm465 to go to the bellhousing? I have been reading different answers. Would you or any others have information/pictures or such to share? Thank you guys so much for the help!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
One more question. What size bolts do I need for the sm465 to go to the bellhousing? I have been reading different answers. Would you or any others have information/pictures or such to share? Thank you guys so much for the help!

Just off memory, they are 1/2" x13 bolts, maybe 1.25 or 1.5 inch long. I can go out and check to be sure in the AM, if I remember.

Jamesz

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks man! So do I would assume I would need nuts for the bottom two? The bellhousing I got has threads on the top mount holes but none on the bottom. I don't know if I got the wrong one or not.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks man! So do I would assume I would need nuts for the bottom two? The bellhousing I got has threads on the top mount holes but none on the bottom. I don't know if I got the wrong one or not.

All four holes should be threaded.

Jamesz

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That's weird. I was thinking about it today when I got to the shop so I grabbed some pictures. Do you think I should look into maybe threading these holes?
You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
That bell housing with open bottom has room to put nuts inside. Older style, will probably only fit the 11" clutch. Advantage is you can use stover style lock nuts. Will not vibrate out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sparkymark