12B rear and 10B front overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K10eddie

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys,

So I'm going to be going through almost my whole truck for a moderate restoration, and I'll be rebuilding the front and rear differentials as part of that. The truck is a 1979 K10, currently it has a 383 making 450hp, and i might swap it to a big block with similar power, or just put a turbo on the 383. So far I have the following list,

Rear

-Timken bearing and seal kit
-Moser cover
-Moser axles (?)
-True trac carrier (?)
-Reusing 3.08 gears as long as they are good (TH350 at the moment, I want to get what little fuel economy I can)

I'm unsure if the axles will be necessary, and the true trac sounds like a good move, but I'm unsure if it can use synthetic oil. I'd rather use synthetic with a limited slip, because I might move back to Wyoming for work, and it gets cold up there.

Front

Most likely just going to use a timken rebuild kit, I'm unsure if having a locker or limited slip is worth it for me. I might get a cover for it.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually