Dana 44 front axle issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice to hear you like the TruTrac. I put one in the D44 in the front of my truck years ago. That and the detroit locker in the rear has been perfect. I typically play in the deep snow and it doesn't hurt my turning radius like a full locker would. And I didn't have any interest in an air locker. And back then there was some issue with the Eaton E locker unlocking and not working in reverse.
I did upgrade my axle shafts to come chromoly units. I was running Yukon Hardcore hubs but one gernanded for unknown reasons on the highway and basically turned into a blender. Everything inside including my spindle was ruined. After that I just installed my old full time 4 slugs.
I too have crossover steering and often think about a D60 but would cost BIG bucks now to recreate what I have now.
I'm running Warn Premium hubs. In that gigantic POS big hub 44 setup they were nothing but trouble, but I've never had an issue with them in a 10b.

I almost did the axle upgrade to the chromoly when this all happened but I was already spending enough, and damn are those expensive. Thankfully I haven't broken an axle... yet. If I do, then I'll pull the trigger.

Sounds like we have nearly identical setups as far as lockers go. I couldn't be happier. I'd love to drive a square with a D60 on the highway just so I can know rather than reading that they drive worse than a 44 (not sure I believe that, but that's what I've read). When I built mine I had an opportunity to get a D60 for next to free and didn't because I was worried about highway driving. And yeah, doing that swap now is way out of the question cuz I have too much into my 44. I sorta wish I would've welded trusses on my 44 when it was out.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I don't know much about them. A jeep in my off road club has them and he loves them. Has a mechanical cable? to lock and unlock them. Seems like a good idea for a selectable locker.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Thanl you! Cable idea sounds kinda cool. I haven't been able to find one yet so i think there out of production. Found Eaton e-lockers and those seem good and reliable. Don't want an air locker. Had my hart set on a selectable locker for years lol but see you guys are very happy with your Tru track. I've had a welded front diff for a decade and broke my carrier finally so I'm looking at all my options. Can't afford any right now but I Don't want to miss another wheeling season.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nice to hear you like the TruTrac. I put one in the D44 in the front of my truck years ago. That and the detroit locker in the rear has been perfect. I typically play in the deep snow and it doesn't hurt my turning radius like a full locker would. And I didn't have any interest in an air locker. And back then there was some issue with the Eaton E locker unlocking and not working in reverse.
I did upgrade my axle shafts to come chromoly units. I was running Yukon Hardcore hubs but one gernanded for unknown reasons on the highway and basically turned into a blender. Everything inside including my spindle was ruined. After that I just installed my old full time 4 slugs.
I too have crossover steering and often think about a D60 but would cost BIG bucks now to recreate what I have now.

So how does the tru trac do on the road with drive slugs?? Not much binding then?

I'm running Warn Premium hubs. In that gigantic POS big hub 44 setup they were nothing but trouble, but I've never had an issue with them in a 10b.

I almost did the axle upgrade to the chromoly when this all happened but I was already spending enough, and damn are those expensive. Thankfully I haven't broken an axle... yet. If I do, then I'll pull the trigger.

Sounds like we have nearly identical setups as far as lockers go. I couldn't be happier. I'd love to drive a square with a D60 on the highway just so I can know rather than reading that they drive worse than a 44 (not sure I believe that, but that's what I've read). When I built mine I had an opportunity to get a D60 for next to free and didn't because I was worried about highway driving. And yeah, doing that swap now is way out of the question cuz I have too much into my 44. I sorta wish I would've welded trusses on my 44 when it was out.

Who says a D60 goes down the road worse than the lighter axles?

Mine go down the road just the same as the 10 bolts do. Which is nicely.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So how does the tru trac do on the road with drive slugs?? Not much binding then?

Who says a D60 goes down the road worse than the lighter axles?

Mine go down the road just the same as the 10 bolts do. Which is nicely.
I've read a couple places that because the Dana 44 is (a lot) lighter, it handles better. I've also read that unless you're going bigger than a 35" tire, the 44 is a great axle. But like I said, I have zero experience driving on a Dana 60 so everything I'm saying is just what I've read. Part of me wishes I'd have grabbed that 60 when I had a chance, I could've probably avoided this whole scenario. But if I did, I'd probably never know how much I love having a Trutrac in the front either.

This article sums it up well. But I'd love to hear your opinion on what he's saying.

Dana 44 vs Dana 60

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've read a couple places that because the Dana 44 is (a lot) lighter, it handles better. I've also read that unless you're going bigger than a 35" tire, the 44 is a great axle. But like I said, I have zero experience driving on a Dana 60 so everything I'm saying is just what I've read. Part of me wishes I'd have grabbed that 60 when I had a chance, I could've probably avoided this whole scenario. But if I did, I'd probably never know how much I love having a Trutrac in the front either.

This article sums it up well. But I'd love to hear your opinion on what he's saying.

Dana 44 vs Dana 60

I've never noticed that the added weight hurts the handling and ride quality at all. I could see it making a difference on a truck with links and coils, but not our leaf spring trucks.

I currently have two operational trucks with a D60 in the front, they both drive just as well as trucks I've had with a 10 bolt and D44 fronts. I've got an estimated 200k spent driving the smaller axles, between my K-Burbs and my K5 so I'm familiar with how those drive. Not nearly as many miles spent (by a long shot) with the two D60 trucks, but still familiar with those too. One is a short wheelbase and the other is a crew cab, so I've got the wheelbase comparisons covered as well.

Oh, and I haven't run anything smaller than a 33" in a long time. So the added unsprung weight of larger tires I'm sure can mask the difference in axle unsprung weight, to some degree.

Last edited:

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've never noticed that the added weight hurts the handling and ride quality at all. I could see it making a difference on a truck with links and coils, but not our leaf spring trucks.

I currently have two operational trucks with a D60 in the front, they both drive just as well as trucks I've had with a 10 bolt and D44 fronts. I've got an estimated 200k spent driving the smaller axles, between my K-Burbs and my K5 so I'm familiar with how those drive. Not nearly as many miles spent (by a long shot) with the two D60 trucks, but still familiar with those too. One is a short wheelbase and the other is a crew cab, so I've got the wheelbase comparisons covered as well.

Oh, and I haven't run anything smaller than a 33" in a long time. So the added unsprung weight of larger tires I'm sure can mask the difference in axle unsprung weight, to some degree.
Thank you, that was thought out and helpful. Now I kinda regret not grabbing that D60, but on the next one I will :Big Laugh:

FWIW, this is the first D44 front axle I've grenaded. I've worn one out but never had this happen. I'll never know, but I imagine this would not have happened if I was using a D60.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any experience or insight on the ox locker? Are they similar animals?
Just saw this. I've never used any type of manual locker. I actually would've avoided a Trutrac too if I hadn't rode in my son's truck, I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed, and how you didn't know it was there until you needed a locker. And I chose it because I wanted to minimize any sort of binding in my front axle when I steer. I imagine when that Ox is locked it'll be a handful thru the curves off-road.

In a rear axle I hope you try it! I'd love to know what you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78crustdumdlux