03 Trailblazer Build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Nothing super duper exciting to tell, ive been doing transmission tuning as well as fuel/spark tuning, optimizing the truck.

These atlass 4200s were quite ahead of their time for GM. They utilized VVT, known as variable valve timing... which is controlled hydraulically. If youve ever rode in or drove a honda with VTEC, its very similar. The VVT essentially manipulates cam overlap.

Its only on the exhaust cam, but it really allows the truck to FLY at the higher rpms, as the base VVT angle is set at 12° in the 4500-6500 rpm range. That stock setting alone feels like a mini turbo kicking in. I played with it a bit today and got it ramping in 17-22° along that rpm range and man does that truck rip.

My wideband o2 sensor for whatever reason is buggy, so i may just buy a new one from AEM. Its the old turbo lumina sensor/gauge, so i havent fiddled TOO much with higher rpm fueling and spark, as i have no way to see where i am in relationship to the commanded fueling... so i'l order one soon.

Im quickly running out of overhead on those stock injectors, theyre 26 lb/hr injectors and im presently at 90% duty cycle around 6k rpm.

Ive sent it on to 6500 and the thing STILL seems to be pulling. Perhaps i'll get brave soon and send it to 7,000... im just afraid of beating up my transmissiom too much... we'll see.

Im dying to swap cams in this thing or play with E85 gas, with the 10.2:1 c/r, ya gotta keep timing low at peak Tq, for fear of spark knock, where as some E85 would really liven it up... but my injectors would max out.

Perhaps i'll look into throwing a set of 60 pounders in ive got laying around.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Well ive been further playing with it, and today i finally maxed the injectors out (104.6%). I can probably enlean the fuel mixture at 6300 rpm, as im targetting mid-11's afr... which would spare a little injector duty cycle, but im running 89 octane and trying to keep the pistons cool.

Im sortof scared to go for more like 12.x afr (leaner) because of the 89 octane, but maybe i'll try it.

Either way, theres no real way to prove this without a dyno, but maxing the injectors out over 100% is approx a 300+ hp crank output.
Thats probably damn near close to the most i'll be able to wringe out of the motor without a power adder or E85. 20°-22° of spark advance. It seems to knock if i get too close to 24-26°

On the monitor, im closely estimating Torque by calculating cylinder airmass, so at 4800-5600rpm , i was seeing a consistent peak torque, somewhere around 275-300 at the crank. Even at 6300 cylinder mass just drops a little. This things a torque monster!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Try 92 octane for fun. Some engines don't care either way but some really react to it.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Try 92 octane for fun. Some engines don't care either way but some really react to it.

Im thinking about it! If i ran 93, i could probably put a few more degrees of advance in at peak TQ and HP, and lower the fuel mixture a little leaner...

These things really like E85 as i understand, i just havent given E a chance yet, mostly due to the injector maximum.

I think this weekend im going out to a local junkyard and pulling a 06+ head, cams, and exhaust manifold.

Couple pics from the 4200 website .. 02-05 manifold next to a 06+

02-05 vs 06+ valve specs

The 02-05 stuff is inferior in terms of cfm they can move in comparison to the 06+ stuff stock, and evidently with some porting, you can get further performance with them. Im thinking stock its a decent hp bump if you just slapped them on and did nothing (no tune, no porting). Its even greater with a tune and some port work.
that coupled with the 06+ cams Will really, really liven it up. The major change on the 06 cams are slightly more exhaust duration, a good bit more intake lift, and slightly more exhaust lift.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Following along on this one.

You likely have run across it already, but what made me aware of, and interested in the 4200’s was Corey’s Checker cab he swapped one into:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It’s by no means a how to series, but some good data points on what can work with them.

Corey had sold it and the new owner took it too a sloppy mechanics dyno day. Made 388hp at the wheels on 10lbs of boost

Unfortunately it was wrecked a year or two ago, so no more turbo checker.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Following along on this one.

You likely have run across it already, but what made me aware of, and interested in the 4200’s was Corey’s Checker cab he swapped one into:
It’s by no means a how to series, but some good data points on what can work with them.

Corey had sold it and the new owner took it too a sloppy mechanics dyno day. Made 388hp at the wheels on 10lbs of boost

Unfortunately it was wrecked a year or two ago, so no more turbo checker.

I have not seen that! Sure does look cool. I wish the 55' was road ready, as i'd love to slap a 4200 in it with a spooli boy.

Right now im doing what i did with my turbo lumina. Running it thru stages,
First a stock tune, then bigger injectors, then some sort of factory upgrades, and lastly, a turbo

The biggest problem with a turbo on the stock TB is the front end shock tower is almost right next to the manifold, so i have the choice of putting a 1700$ artec performance manifold on (fits the tb stock), or welding up my own. I got some CAD concepts already sketched up on the computer for a home grown turbo manifold.. i guess i gotta decide what to do. I'd really like a 2nd motor or a bare block i could use for mock up

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Something like this is what i have in mind. The shock tower is my first obstacle, the second is the AC lines coming out of the firewall. I'd like to be able to clear both of those...

DIY youre looking at <300$ in materials and alot of time

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Just my ignorance showing, but is 43.5 the proper fuel pressure? I thought GM did 58 for most stuff of this vintage? If it is 43, that might be a cheap fix for maxed out injectors to swap in a 58 psi regulator (unless it's one that is regulated in the tank... ugh)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
88slvrpony