wiring issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtobe81

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1981 Chevrolet
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
some weird stuff going on, was having fuel gauge problems where it was reading past full 3 o'clock, i fifgured out the wiring on that. I t will read correct when no headlights are on, now when i turn the headlights on it goes to the 9 o clock position. why would the headlight's do anything to the fuel gauge?

also the flashers work but can not get the turn signals to work left or right. I replace the turn signal switch in the steering column no luck there.

not a daily driver a project truck. maybe wiring harness needs be replaced completely but it looks fairly new.

Tonimus

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Sounds like grounding issues. Stray voltages do all manner of weird things.

The flashers and turn signals are separate circuits. Check your signals at both sides of the the comb connector in the steering wheel.

Jtobe81

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1981 Chevrolet
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
flashers are good. some funky wiring going on, the previous owner rigged the ignition where the key is only to unlock the steering wheel. ignition switch is mounted to column. also wired a kill switch. guess will have to let the pros take a look at what's going on.

Any responses appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7516.jpg
    IMG_7516.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 9

Tom Weeks

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
some weird stuff going on, was having fuel gauge problems where it was reading past full 3 o'clock, i fifgured out the wiring on that. I t will read correct when no headlights are on, now when i turn the headlights on it goes to the 9 o clock position. why would the headlight's do anything to the fuel gauge?

also the flashers work but can not get the turn signals to work left or right. I replace the turn signal switch in the steering column no luck there.

not a daily driver a project truck. maybe wiring harness needs be replaced completely but it looks fairly new.
Sounds like a bad or lose ground wire between the battery ground and the core support small 10ga wire.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That looks horrible, I think a dash harness is available. If not how about a salvage yard? Probably would be better off pulling it all out and starting over rather than chasing various electrical issues.

Jtobe81

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1981 Chevrolet
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
yeah I don't know what the idea was with that. The wiring actually doesn't look to bad might be fairly new. yeah what a pain trying to chase down wiring!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meltonbodyshop