What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Side by side of old regulator rollers and new regulator rollers. You can barely see but the new ones are slightly wider. Maybe a millimeter. Trying to force it in the track, which I never had to do with the old regulator, started making the window move and I could hear the tape starting to ungrip from it so I stopped trying to force it. It seems like the rollers may break trying to do this anyway.
You must be registered for see images attach
If it were mine I'd measure the old ones and file the others until they're the same.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it were mine I'd measure the old ones and file the others until they're the same.

Yep, I'd file them down too.

Or just cut my losses and get a good original GM regulator.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Side by side of old regulator rollers and new regulator rollers. You can barely see but the new ones are slightly wider. Maybe a millimeter. Trying to force it in the track, which I never had to do with the old regulator, started making the window move and I could hear the tape starting to ungrip from it so I stopped trying to force it. It seems like the rollers may break trying to do this anyway.
Would something nutty like putting it in the freezer help? Or what about a little grease? Sorry, on my tiny screen it’s had to get a clear idea.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Yep, I'd file them down too.

Or just cut my losses and get a good original GM regulator.
Classic Industries wants me to send side by side pics of old rollers vs. new. They said to possibly identify if the wrong inserts were used and begin authorization for sending back if necessary. I was planning to use a caliper in the photo to show the difference. Filing it down seems like a ligit fix. Should I just use a file or sandpaper? Or a belt sander? Don't want to take off too much.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Would something nutty like putting it in the freezer help? Or what about a little grease? Sorry, on my tiny screen it’s had to get a clear idea.
I already hit all the moving parts with lithium grease. After the rollers wouldn't budge I hit them with even more grease.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I wish I could have prevented this tragedy. The wrong year regulator from LMC had rollers that went in the track perfectly but motor would not mount correctly. Correct year OER from Classic I is perfect fit for power motor mounts. Should I have just had LMC send the correct year?... dang. I sent the photos to CI and explained my problem.
I will likely be filing these slightly off rollers to get the truck moving again.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I wish I could have prevented this tragedy. The wrong year regulator from LMC had rollers that went in the track perfectly but motor would not mount correctly. Correct year OER from Classic I is perfect fit for power motor mounts. Should I have just had LMC send the correct year?... dang. I sent the photos to CI and explained my problem.
I will likely be filing these slightly off rollers to get the truck moving again.
In my experience, they’ll take care of you. But if you just want to get it over with, I wouldn’t blame you for your plan of action.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I put it in 4wd to move some things around in the yard. Then I parked it under the carport with the Duramax parked in front of it.

This may sound like a useless post but I assure y'all it isn't. In just a few hours a Category 1 Hurricane is going to pass right over this house. I sure hope nothing hits it.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I put it in 4wd to move some things around in the yard. Then I parked it under the carport with the Duramax parked in front of it.

This may sound like a useless post but I assure y'all it isn't. In just a few hours a Category 1 Hurricane is going to pass right over this house. I sure hope nothing hits it.
Stay safe all y'all in Louisiana and Mississippi!

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Stay safe all y'all in Louisiana and Mississippi!
We will take this one, next time it's your turn!

Truck is as safe as I can make it right now. I am going to deal with this one but I am NOT going through another hurricane without a decent winch on one of these GMC trucks.

Also, these "store bought" Cooper mud grips are not even a pale shadow of the Buckshot Wide Mudders of my youth. These tires do not clean themselves out without a lot of spinning. They are pretty to look at and provide a Good Look...but they lack substance. Way more Show than Go.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Cleaning up my truck for VGG wipe on clear coat (matte finish). Also, after coating, I will install a new axle half shaft to replace the one thats bent and has been wiggling for the last 19 years. More photos to come after the clean and coat.
Well, roughing up the paint was hard work. The first coat of coating was awful, streaky. I Made the mistake of putting a matte finish on white paint. Second coat was better (I had enough, barely), but, the paint was chalky before I started this, and the matte finish on white was just wrong. I should have chosen the gloss.

The new axle ($106 for the axle, bearing and seal kit from RockAuto and $40 for new gear oil) was a snap. Pop open the diff, remove the lock bolt, pull the diff center pin and the CClip on the axle, and out came the old axle, in with the new. Did not have to touch brakes other than sliding the drum off. Sorry, pictures not in correct order, but Hey.

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpeg
    IMG_3104.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3128.jpeg
    IMG_3128.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3125.jpeg
    IMG_3125.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3108.jpeg
    IMG_3108.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3107.jpeg
    IMG_3107.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 11

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Sent photos of old and new regulator rollers off to Classic Industries. I am thinking of snapping pics of both old and new rollers at the opening spot on the track so they can see the difference there as well. I am also very tempted to sand the rollers down as suggested by you guys: @Rustisbest and @bucket .

Rustisbest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sent photos of old and new regulator rollers off to Classic Industries. I am thinking of snapping pics of both old and new rollers at the opening spot on the track so they can see the difference there as well. I am also very tempted to sand the rollers down as suggested by you guys: @Rustisbest and @bucket .
Unless they can send you pics of some with the right width roller I'd be leery of sending em back if everything else fits. Made in China like everything else I'm guessing?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avery7