What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1976dully

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Finally got our LS swapped 76 driving last night. New tank, sender, lines, filter/regulator, pump, plugs and wires. Terrorized the neighborhood. HA
It's a handful to drive.
You must be registered for see images attach

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Those that have been down this road before likely know exactly what they are looking at, and the pain and agony that goes with.

After removing the broken rack I put things back together enough to be able to drive it, looking either like a theft in progress or theft recovery with the switch hanging from under the dash.

Any recommendations on where to source a new rack actuator/related parts? 76 auto tilt column.

I see ones available from usual suspects, but interested in hearing if one is superior to another. This is something I'd like to not have to mess with for a long time.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Got the colum all tidied up and was going to put the proper termination on the cruise stalk wire mod and noticed this.

I can't say for sure if this end was like this originally but it is now. Not sure how I could have pushed the center out far enough to do this doing only what I did so I suspect I missed it originally. Damn, that's a lot of slop, must be getting slack in my old age.

Somewhere in my mind I've seen a detailed description and parts breakdown for these columns somewhere. I want to know how it goes together, before I go finding out the 'break stuff cuz you forgot how it goes together' method.

I may come to the conclusion it's not to be worried about, but first I thought it prudent to pass this in front of the group for any input.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Got the colum all tidied up and was going to put the proper termination on the cruise stalk wire mod and noticed this.

I can't say for sure if this end was like this originally but it is now. Not sure how I could have pushed the center out far enough to do this doing only what I did so I suspect I missed it originally. Damn, that's a lot of slop, must be getting slack in my old age.

Somewhere in my mind I've seen a detailed description and parts breakdown for these columns somewhere. I want to know how it goes together, before I go finding out the 'break stuff cuz you forgot how it goes together' method.

I may come to the conclusion it's not to be worried about, but first I thought it prudent to pass this in front of the group for any input.

You can get a new lower "bearing" pretty cheaply, but there's also an upgraded one on the market.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Took the 82 for a ride and discovered a transmission leak. Think it's one of the rubber lines. I didn't have them bend hard lines to save 300 bucks but looks like now I need to. Haven't looked into it yet but it was dripping in the headers so I'm pretty sure that it's the problem. Glad it was a short trip around the block or it could've been bad. :(

Look into more to be sure.

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
Pulled the pass side fuel tank. It's never been in use since I've owned the truck. The PO tried to patch it with glass. I've been running off of the driver's side tank for years. I bought a new tank, hoses electric pump and a pickup several years ago. I was going to upgrade to F.I. , but have decided against it for now. I was going to replace the driver's side tank with the new one. After looking at the mounting of both tanks. The pass. side looked easier to access. So here it is.

I've purchased a second pick up non F.I. and some more hoses. I like to buy things twice, sometimes three times. :oops:. I bought a new tank valve genuine GM from the zone. I will be replacing all the rubber with new. I would like to go AN fitting and hose but can't justify the price or how much a pain in the butt it would be to work it. The hoses on the filler are GM. I'm guessing they are original 40-year-old pieces. They look good after a bath in simple green, even the old clamps loosened up and could be reused. The tank and straps not so much.

Attachments

• fiberglass.jpg
    fiberglass.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 9
  • fill hose.jpg
    fill hose.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 8
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 10
  • hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 9

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Started putting on new door hinges a few weeks ago. Twisted my ankle and hurt my back pretty bad in the middle of it, had to scramble last week to finish and get the truck back together for Triple Crown of Rodding. It's nice to have doors that latch easier now, but the hinges are SUUUUUPER stiff, so it's kind of difficult to open and close them at the moment. But the bodylines and gaps are much better now

Then drove it up to Nashville Superspeedway for Triple Crown last Wednesday

And then promptly overloaded it breaking down our 1st of 2 booths lol

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Took the 82 for a ride and discovered a transmission leak. Think it's one of the rubber lines. I didn't have them bend hard lines to save 300 bucks but looks like now I need to. Haven't looked into it yet but it was dripping in the headers so I'm pretty sure that it's the problem. Glad it was a short trip around the block or it could've been bad. :(

Look into more to be sure.
I make my own hardlines,easy to do,map your route measure your length. Local auto parts store should have pre terminated 5/16th hard line in various lengths. You shouldn't have but maybe 30.00 making your own hard lines. Go a little long if they don't have the length you need, put extra bends in a straight stretch to take up length.

Last edited:

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, they fit. Pinky width of gap. No matter how much I shuck, shimmy, stomp or shake it, can’t get it to touch sidewall. Just a test fit in the rear before I mounted up the rest.

Do they look ridiculous? Likely. Will I keep them? Why not. Can always be trade fodder down the road.

Edit- wheel as is about 68 lbs. stock steel rally with 275/60 is almost 61. Not as much difference as I thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REK1