What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes indeed! I found a shop in North Lewisburg that put in a new Delco pump for a great price. It's running better than ever

What shop? I'll bet it's the one that my buddy Cody works at. I think you've met him. He's the one that owned my gray '84 Z28 for a couple years.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I have been trying to get my drivers side power window operable. It cashed out on me right after I discovered there was no simple fix for the noise my AC compressor was making. I just want the window to work, well always, but now that the AC is most likely compromised It would be nice to roll the drivers side down again. I know you all have read my crying rants but on to the 3rd regulator! Stopped at O Reilly's today and got a Doorman regulator on order, picking up Saturday. Sent the LMC one back, and have decided to send the "OER" regulator back to Classiggg Industreez.
Dang man, that's been quite the saga. Hope that Dorman regulator works well

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
OF COURSE my brand new 60gal Grizzly compressor went kaput. :mad:.
Is there a decent compressor made these days? I've been looking for one for about a year and haven't pulled the trigger yet. Twenty years ago I would have bought the first thing I'd see and expect it to be reliable but today the reliability seems very questionable.

SK 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
What shop? I'll bet it's the one that my buddy Cody works at. I think you've met him. He's the one that owned my gray '84 Z28 for a couple years.

Yep! Cody at N&F Performance. I had no idea you knew him. If I met him at any point, I don't remember lol

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Is there a decent compressor made these days? I've been looking for one for about a year and haven't pulled the trigger yet. Twenty years ago I would have bought the first thing I'd see and expect it to be reliable but today the reliability seems very questionable.
A new switch from tractor supply got it up and running this morning, but I’m still gonna warranty it. The little tab that makes contact for the actual off/auto switch melted away it seems.

Short answer, NOTHING is built well anymore. If I had to do it again though, I would have ordered a Quincy. They consistently have better reviews. Everything else is questionable it seems, or outright garbage. These Grizzly compressors are made by Mega if I remember right.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A new switch from tractor supply got it up and running this morning, but I’m still gonna warranty it. The little tab that makes contact for the actual off/auto switch melted away it seems.

Short answer, NOTHING is built well anymore. If I had to do it again though, I would have ordered a Quincy. They consistently have better reviews. Everything else is questionable it seems, or outright garbage. These Grizzly compressors are made by Mega if I remember right.

I think I've had my Quincy for about 10 years now. It has performed flawlessly and is American made. I didn't have to order it either, the local farm store had it in stock. Just a 60 gal, but the pump performs so well that an 80 gallon tank would not have benefitted me at all, even for bodywork.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
The issue is that they wire the motor directly to the pressure switch rather than through a magnetic starter. The pressure switch can hold up, but they just are not designed for that purpose, for that much load/inrush current.

All in an effort to reduce costs/race to the bottom I’m sure. Emax, Champion, Saylor Beall seem to put mag starters on their units from the start. Otherwise your big box and other lower end units go through the pressure switch.

If I were you, I’d look into adding an appropriate sized mag starter (and heaters) and then use the pressure switch as a low voltage, low current switch. Should last pretty much forever and provides motor protection via the heaters. Most to all motors these days have those red Klixon switches on them, personally I would not trust them alone. Especially beyond 3hp.

Jimbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Got permission from the landlord to bring Smokey over for some maintenance after 2.5 years in a field. Me and my darlin' went and got it today. Nothing major but want to change some tire valve extensions, fix a few rat chewed wires and polish it up a bit.
You must be registered for see images attach

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
The issue is that they wire the motor directly to the pressure switch rather than through a magnetic starter. The pressure switch can hold up, but they just are not designed for that purpose, for that much load/inrush current.

All in an effort to reduce costs/race to the bottom I’m sure. Emax, Champion, Saylor Beall seem to put mag starters on their units from the start. Otherwise your big box and other lower end units go through the pressure switch.

If I were you, I’d look into adding an appropriate sized mag starter (and heaters) and then use the pressure switch as a low voltage, low current switch. Should last pretty much forever and provides motor protection via the heaters. Most to all motors these days have those red Klixon switches on them, personally I would not trust them alone. Especially beyond 3hp.

I'll have to look into that later. Those pressure switches do seem pretty flimsy for the load that's on them. Simple.... but maybe too simple.

Mega is sending me a new switch and motor anyway, under warranty. This is the SECOND failure I've had. First was in the first 10min of operation. They used straight spade connectors to connect the harness to the motor. Wires were crammed in there and rubbing on the access plate. Insulation chaffed through, shorted to the case and popped the breaker. Some new flag terminals got it up and running again, and eliminated the chaffing issue........ but yeah, guessing that bit of magic smoke release did some damage to the switch. When I reached out to the manufacturer then, all they wanted to know was what size breaker it was on and how long the wire run was..... then crickets. lol At least they're being proactive now, and I'll have spares in the future. :)

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
1975, 1987
Truck Model
K5 Blazer, R1500
Engine Size
454, 350 tbi
Replaced my old steering shaft on the Blazer with a Borgeson shaft with universal joints and also replaced the lower bearing on the steering column. When I removed the old bearing I thought it came out too easy and then saw the plastic retainer was broken.

Job was pretty straightforward and took just under 3 hours start to finish. The new shafts need to be cut to the correct length and then drilled for a set screw so this took a bit to measure 18 times and cut once. Lol. Even with heat and an overnight soaking with penetrating oil the old shaft would not collapse to allow removal but 15 seconds with the Sawzall remedied that problem!

Huge improvement! Steering is tight and responsive and tracks much better.

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
LONG TIME NO SEE! Been at military training since late May and still serving my current sentence until November (going well, although I heavily miss my Squares). During my downtime and some of my addictive marketplace searching for anything Square, I found a deal of a lifetime. Thanks to the help of my brothers, I was able to purchase my latest rig and got it flatbeded home from out of state. 73k 6.2L, (12 volt conversion with doghead mod) with a 400 turbo transmission. 4 inch Rough Country lift, no blocks. G.O. 10 bolt 3/4 ton front axle and full floating G.M. 14 bolt 1 ton rear axle (Locked), both with 4.11 gears. Just needs some love and rocker panels. Can’t wait to work on this rig and get it on the road when I get home.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
LONG TIME NO SEE! Been at military training since late May and still serving my current sentence until November (going well, although I heavily miss my Squares). During my downtime and some of my addictive marketplace searching for anything Square, I found a deal of a lifetime. Thanks to the help of my brothers, I was able to purchase my latest rig and got it flatbeded home from out of state. 73k 6.2L, (12 volt conversion with doghead mod) with a 400 turbo transmission. 4 inch Rough Country lift, no blocks. G.O. 10 bolt 3/4 ton front axle and full floating G.M. 14 bolt 1 ton rear axle (Locked), both with 4.11 gears. Just needs some love and rocker panels. Can’t wait to work on this rig and get it on the road when I get home.
Did you know that in Colorado they have made former military trucks illegal for highway use? And people with collections can no longer drive them on the road...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you know that in Colorado they have made former military trucks illegal for highway use? And people with collections can no longer drive them on the road...

When did they come up with that stupid law?

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350

Well thank god I don’t live in Colorado. That’s gotta be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brantley