What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'll probably get it off and find out its the water pump, or PS pump.. But my big stick says alternator. Of course, it's underneath the others. $36 from rock auto.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Pretty tired after a family trip, so I decided to do something quick and fun today- put on the new center cap emblems for the rally wheels since the old originals were faded to complete silver. Nice to have little mini projects for when the energy level is low.
You must be registered for see images attach

What's the drop and tire specs? It always seems "perfect" for my tastes.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What's the drop and tire specs? It always seems "perfect" for my tastes.
5” drop front (2.5 drop spindle, 2.5 drop spring), 6” drop rear with a standard flip kit.

Tires are 255/60/15 front, 275/60/15 rear. Thanks for the compliment bud!

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, we had a break in the atmospheric river, so I cruised through the Heavy Metal Custom Shop open house- the owner requested to take a photo with my square (his is an ‘81 as well with an LS swap). Super cool dude. Then I walked around and took a look at some of their projects.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Card tricks today...

That’s the best idea/hack I’ve seen in a while!
I always struggle to get a consistent line around a rim with a tire on it.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Well, we had a break in the atmospheric river, so I cruised through the Heavy Metal Custom Shop open house- the owner requested to take a photo with my square (his is an ‘81 as well with an LS swap). Super cool dude. Then I walked around and took a look at some of their projects.

Daaaaaaaaannngg! Sweet.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
Painted the 4 rims, shined the tires, tightened down 2 loose nuts on the carburetor base, cleaned the hub caps, and then noticed a wet spot under the radiator. UGh, now the drain petcock is dripping ever so slowly, could not get it to stop. Another coolant system glitch, hopefully the last, I want to drive the truck during the nice weather!!

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It started with the speedometer. My needle wandered all over the face and jumped around. So, I removed the cable and lubed the inner.

Then, there was nothing. It just sat at Zero. So, I disconnected the lower end, and made sure it was engaged, and it went back to wobble mode.. So, I bought a new cable, of the same size, that was 1” longer. I now had a speedometer that sat still, but, I lost my left turn signal indicator on the dash. Outside, the lights were still flashing. OK

I tried to grab the bulb from below, like the factory shop manual said. I could not get it out. Still no signal on the dash.

Then, the aftermarket Sun 2 tach went out.

Looked underneath and the wire had pulled out of the fuse box. Tach is back, but it went out again. Finally I noticed that the tach wire was being pulled out by pushing the clutch. Rerouted the wire and the tach is back.

Next day, the turn signal indicator started working! I did not change the bulb. Weird.

Tach working, turn signals working. Only thing on truck not working (not bad for a 43 year old truck) is the back up lights, because my 3 on tree truck was converted to a hurst indy floor shifter. I looked for the wires to the back up switch under the truck. None to be found. Two member of this here Fo-Rum reminded me of the switch location is on the column inside the firewall. (right by my tack wires!), So I grabbed those wires and ran them to a lit switch, which I put in the dash near the wiper switch. Throw the switch and back up lights come on. While the dash was out, I reached up to the RIGHT side of the dash and removed one other dash light that has been out since I bought the truck 4 years ago. The bulb looked good, but when I powered the socket, no light. Huh. Took the bulb out and cleaned the socket. Tried it again and let there be light!. Put it back in the dash and reassembled.

Last night I went out after dark, and all dash lights now work!

I think I now have everything in the truck working.. Tach, Speedo, turn signals, dash lights, back up lights.
Shh. Don’t tell anyone.
So, OK, I did correctly diagnose bad alternator bearings, and replaced the alternator in about an hour. Looks buried under the PS pump, but, two bolts and out, then in. Hook up 1 plug and main output.. No big deal. Rock auto, $36, plus $7 core, plus shipping. I'm not returning the core, but will rebuild myself. Only about 90K miles on the truck. Do you think it could be original?

Attachments

• Ralph the Chevy c10 - 1 of 3.jpeg
    Ralph the Chevy c10 - 1 of 3.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Ralph the Chevy c10 - 3 of 3.jpeg
    Ralph the Chevy c10 - 3 of 3.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Ralph the Chevy c10 - 2 of 3.jpeg
    Ralph the Chevy c10 - 2 of 3.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 20

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Started on the interior, painted all the interior panels including the dash with "SEM" Dark Charcoal, began fitting the carpet. The headliner was done months ago, just getting to the point where I can install it. It looks better in real life, plus it will be hanging upside down so I am not worried about the bumps.

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads