What did we do before cup holders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greenglances

Reaction score
First Name
Amie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Cupholders.com for the one on the seat, Snowden custom seats for the one on the floor. Floor one wedges between the seat and the floor

You must be registered for see images attach
Which do you find more useful? I've been looking at a bench one but the floor one looks like it'd be more out of the way. Is it a pain to reach down?

boblee09

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I didn’t think it was very practical but I saw a guy who had built something that plugged into the ashtray compartment. It could be cool though. I would add more support it I was to do it. I would post a photo but I never see the guy anymore.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
What did we do before cup holders?

We kept it between our legs and if our driving skills were subpar, well, we looked like we peed ourselves. That's how we did it back in the day, none of this sissified "can I hold your drink for you" nonsense. Lol

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Which do you find more useful? I've been looking at a bench one but the floor one looks like it'd be more out of the way. Is it a pain to reach down?
The floor one was more useful. Was never a pain to reach down (30oz Yeti style cups and energy drinks comprise 99.9% of my usage), was out of the way but perfectly at hand and worked better with the larger cups. The one on the seat was great for keeping stuff inside it (the lid flips up) and for change. The cupholders were much smaller, not good for anything but cans.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I didn’t think it was very practical but I saw a guy who had built something that plugged into the ashtray compartment. It could be cool though. I would add more support it I was to do it. I would post a photo but I never see the guy anymore.
Yeah, those are available from multiple places. They work fine depending on what you put in them, how smoothly your truck rides and how smooth the roads are. If there's no smoothness, there will be drink on the floor

mlsceo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Got mine at Cupholdersplus. I found them years ago at a Tri-5 meet and bought one for my ‘57 so got another for my squarebody. Lid lifts for storage and doubles as arm rest. A strap secures it to the seat.

I have the same console, got it in green that is a near perfect match with my interior.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
350 tbi
Everything you ever wanted to know about the history of the automobile cup holder......:D

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
...holding that hot coffee between your legs?
Oh yea, I remember those days. And the memories are not pleasant. So....
The Mrs. and I kept looking for console with a couple cup holders, but none of them stirred us to buy.
So one day I fired up the old CAD system; Cardboard, Sharpie and scissors.
Now I really enjoy the "Motortrend" channel and some of those guys can really inspire and get the juices flowing. After a couple rough drafts and a couple more revisions a console is born. Synthetic canvas and 1/2" foam gives a soft welcoming look and feel. And the other surfaces got a couple coats of a rattle can textured paint.
Nice job!

mlsceo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The floor one was more useful. Was never a pain to reach down (30oz Yeti style cups and energy drinks comprise 99.9% of my usage), was out of the way but perfectly at hand and worked better with the larger cups. The one on the seat was great for keeping stuff inside it (the lid flips up) and for change. The cupholders were much smaller, not good for anything but cans.
I have the same console. Holds a quart size Gatorade bottle.

mlsceo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Everything you ever wanted to know about the history of the automobile cup holder......:D

The Subaru Ascent, 19 cupholders. Ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krash