Welding on Strut housings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm sorry I didn't know where to put this,though,well he!! a lot of you guys with cars with struts might be interested.And someone here may know the answer. At one point in time if I wanted to lower a car. I'd pull the strut housings,pull out the inserts,cut the spring perches loose move them down an inch,two inches,whatever and weld the perches back on.Theyd be 1 inch 2 inch, whatever lower. Kicker is now nothing has inserts they are all sealed assemblies. My concern is welding on a sealed tube full of oil doesn't seem like a good idea. Wondered if any one knew. Safe? Not safe, can I just drill a hole for pressure release and plug it when done? For some reason I think a couple of guys in this group know the answer.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Definitely wouldn't do it on a sealed unit. But if you drill a hole the pressure that was put in at the factory will bleed out, no?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I've once welded a broken strut. Car was from Minnesota probably lol. I was a bit shy to do it but I had a garden hose and welded a little bit then quickly cooled it down each time

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Definitely wouldn't do it on a sealed unit. But if you drill a hole the pressure that was put in at the factory will bleed out, no?
There shouldn't be any pressure unless it's a gas strut. My concern is the oil lighting off in a sealed chamber and blowing the strut up similiar to a pipe bomb because the pressure can't release.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There shouldn't be any pressure unless it's a gas strut. My concern is the oil lighting off in a sealed chamber and blowing the strut up similiar to a pipe bomb because the pressure can't release.
Please record the event and report back. Waiting in anticipation...:popcorn:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Please record the event and report back. Waiting in anticipation...:popcorn:
I'll post back if I can.!!!! You want to hold the housing steady for me? I figured somebody on here would know about welding on a hydraulic cylinder. We will see.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I thought this thread was a joke, like @bucket thread about fluid changes! Lol
No seriously it's a slick way to lower the car without affecting spring rate,and getting exact drop you want. Move the spring perch 1inch,you get 1 inch and stock spring rate.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's actually been done many times. AWD Pontiac 6000's come to mind. The rear struts are not available and you have to make due with something else, which means removing the spring perches from the original struts and welding them onto the new ones.

The key is keeping the heat down. Imho, it's best not to lay a bead. Just repeatedly burn in a good tack weld, watch the orange color go away and then start the next tack weld.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
It's actually been done many times. AWD Pontiac 6000's come to mind. The rear struts are not available and you have to make due with something else, which means removing the spring perches from the original struts and welding them onto the new ones.

The key is keeping the heat down. Imho, it's best not to lay a bead. Just repeatedly burn in a good tack weld, watch the orange color go away and then start the next tack weld.
Thank you. I knew somebody would know. Should have known it was @bucket I figured @legopnuematic would be chipping in.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
No seriously it's a slick way to lower the car without affecting spring rate,and getting exact drop you want. Move the spring perch 1inch,you get 1 inch and stock spring rate.
I believe that part. Remember kids doing it to their ricers but like you said, they were disassembled.
Plus now aren’t most all sealed struts gas charged? Decent ones at least? Figured a hydraulic strut you’d cook the oil and maybe warp it too.
It’s be cool though. Do it!

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Not to worry, I was thinking of a reply yesterday but my after work plans were thwarted by a kaput battery in the 76.

Never have done anything like that, but I’d suspect with positioning the strut as such to keep the oil and piston seals away from the work area. Wrap everything but the to be welded area with wet rags to be a heat sink (and protect the cylinder rod from spatter). As bucket says, hot tacks and control heat input.

I did not really watch this video, just thumbed through. But he didn’t seem to have blowed up or anything.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Even a gas strut/shock, I’d think they would use some inert gas, like nitrogen. Seems like it would be a big potential liability to fill them with, say hydrogen and have little Hindenburgs on your vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris64