UPGRADE BRAKES on a 79 K25

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadcracks

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hello, my first post except for my introduction. yippie.

Is it possible to find larger rotors and matching calipers for my 1979 K25? If so who can supply them?
I like a semi soft pad that doesn't last for 100,000, 20,000 is fine. Any suggestions? What brake pads have you had good success with?:Insane:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
With larger rotors, matching calipers & brackets, you may need a larger size wheel & tire combo.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Why? You're poking a sleeping bear. Yes, some folks like to "upgrade" brakes, but the original ones [maintained] are just fine. There are ways to increase stopping power such as different lining material and rear cylinder size. I own a K 20 SB used as a wrecker for over 300k miles. Truck weighs 6k, figure the average car is in the area of 3500 lbs plus. Although I would not rally it the brakes never failed or overheated.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So you upgrade the fronts,now the front/rear bias is wrong. And the master cylinder and combination valve wasn't designed for your combination. I'd leave things alone,buy everything off a truck with bigger brakes or discuss your situation with an engineer that specializes in brakes,and has no interest in selling you anything. The engineers that designed your brakes,took a whole lot of things into account,situations we never thought of and designed a brake system accordingly. Years ago I put different rear calipers on my DD it stopped so much better.,I am a genius!. I was driving to work on cold drizzly morning had to hit the brakes quick in a lane change,the car went completely sideways,hand over hand on the wheel,it was completly sideways again. I was lucky I didn't hit anything and no one hit me.90 percent certain it would have been a fatality. But my better rear calipers sure stop great in ideal conditions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenf1986